-> Insurance
     by jeff@...

Date: 22 Mar 2005 00:13:24 -0600
From: jeff@...
Subject: Insurance

Baleheads,

I wanted to share something that I think is important.  We will soon
begin coverage with an insurance company for what is referred to as
General Liability Insurance as a straw bale subcontractor.  I think this
is substantial because I do not know anyone eles with coverage for
sepcific straw bale activities (here in the U.S.).

I know plenty of G.C.'s who have coverage (as I once did when I was a
G.C.), and their policy holder, or underwriter, is fully aware of their
activities.  My point is, our underwriter is FULLY aware that *all* we
are doing is stacking bales, lathing and renderin'.  This was not easy
to pull off!

In the past 18 months, I have gone through three underwriters.  It seems
once they find out what you are actually doing, they freak, and drop
you.  Maybe it is something I did in the past, but from what I can tell,
that is not whay they freak out about.  Anyway, are there any other
people with this type of arrangement out there?  I am obviously a little
curious.

Once I have fully secured a policy, I will be happy to share experiences
and details because I think having this kind of collective knowledge
would be beneficial to our cause.  If you are curious, contact me
directly.  cheers!

Jeff Ruppert, P.E.
Principal

Odisea LLC
Ecological Building, Engineering and Consulting

Front Range Office 		West Slope Office
5444 Marshall Road		1022 Main St.
Boulder, CO  81623		Carbondale, CO 81623
303.443.4335			970.948.5744
303.443.4355 f			1.866.795.6699 f
jeff@...
www.odiseanet.com