Re: GSBN:Can you help...

Joyce -- RE Bob Bolles' comment, I have recently seen a slide show in which
a mortared stone facia along the bottom of an adobe wall held in enough
moisture to cause deterioration over time.... the historic adobes were
"unstabalized," and I suspect it had a minimal foundation, and that the
adobe wall may have also had moisture wicking up from the ground

Also, my take on this is that it was a cement mortar --  I suspect this
wouldn't be the case with an earthen mortar.

I have images of a nice strawbale home in Carbondale, CO that has
unmortared stones around the perimeter to decoratively reduce splashback on
the earthen ext plaster........   I'll be away for a week, so please remind
me about this after June 9th and I'll get you a scan of the image.  If you
need it sooner,  let me know today.

regards,
Catherine