From: johns@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: GSBN:Re: Half lime, half cement plaster mix

MattsMyhrman@...:

Dear GSBN-ers,

Some friends of mine are considering using the above ratio of lime and
cement
in their plaster.  They recently asked if I knew of any good reason why
they
couldn't successfully use standard, commercial plaster pigments to get a
color
like mud plaster in the final layer (aka, color coat).  I told them I had
never used pigments in such a mix, but if the pigments consist of various
oxides
of iron, I didn't think that the higher-than-usual amount of lime in the
mix
would cause any problems.  If any of you have reason to think that this
was not
a good answer, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

Standard pigments will work.  We've also used dirt/clay from the site
sucessfully as a colorant, when the site material was dense with color.
Of
course, you can get a mud color, but it won't refract light like real
earth
plaster.

Also, they asked the same question about adding chopped straw to their
mix,
in order to get a rustic texture.  I told them that I had only used
chopped
straw in mud plasters and in mud/lime plasters, but that I thought that
it would
also work fine in the  half lime/half cement mix, assuming that they
didn't
add so much that it significantly weakened the plaster .  Again, if you
think my
answer needs adjustment, please share your thoughts.

You can do it, but it's possible that the high lime content could eat away
at the straw a bit, but I'm not sure about this.

John Swearingen

All best wishes to you all from Judy and myself.

Matts Myhrman / Judy Knox                        mattsmyhrman@...
Out On  Bale, (un) Ltd.
1037 E. Linden
judyknox42@...
Tucson, AZ  85719
Office message phone  (520) 622-6896

GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
of regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of
the GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.

send email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT
ine.  ----