Date: 28 Jun 2005 18:13:20 -0600
From: MattsMyhrman@...
Subject: Re: Half lime, half cement plaster mix

Dear GSBN-ers,

Some friends of mine are considering using the above ratio of lime and cement
in their plaster.  They recently asked if I knew of any good reason why they
couldn't successfully use standard, commercial plaster pigments to get a color
like mud plaster in the final layer (aka, color coat).  I told them I had
never used pigments in such a mix, but if the pigments consist of various
oxides
of iron, I didn't think that the higher-than-usual amount of lime in the mix
would cause any problems.  If any of you have reason to think that this was
not
a good answer, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

Also, they asked the same question about adding chopped straw to their mix,
in order to get a rustic texture.  I told them that I had only used chopped
straw in mud plasters and in mud/lime plasters, but that I thought that it
would
also work fine in the  half lime/half cement mix, assuming that they didn't
add so much that it significantly weakened the plaster .  Again, if you think
my
answer needs adjustment, please share your thoughts.

All best wishes to you all from Judy and myself.

Matts Myhrman / Judy Knox                        mattsmyhrman@...
Out On  Bale, (un) Ltd.
1037 E. Linden                                           judyknox42@...
Tucson, AZ  85719
Office message phone  (520) 622-6896

- ---

> Some friends of mine are considering using the above ratio of lime and
cement
> in their plaster.  They recently asked if I knew of any good reason why they
> couldn't successfully use standard, commercial plaster pigments to get a
color
> like mud plaster in the final layer (aka, color coat).  I told them I had
> never used pigments in such a mix, but if the pigments consist of various
oxides
> of iron, I didn't think that the higher-than-usual amount of lime in the mix
> would cause any problems.  If any of you have reason to think that this was
not
> a good answer, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

Standard pigments will work.  We've also used dirt/clay from the site
sucessfully as a colorant, when the site material was dense with color.  Of
course, you can get a mud color, but it won't refract light like real earth
plaster.

> Also, they asked the same question about adding chopped straw to their mix,
> in order to get a rustic texture.  I told them that I had only used chopped
> straw in mud plasters and in mud/lime plasters, but that I thought that it
would
> also work fine in the  half lime/half cement mix, assuming that they didn't
> add so much that it significantly weakened the plaster .  Again, if you
think my
> answer needs adjustment, please share your thoughts.

You can do it, but it's possible that the high lime content could eat away
at the straw a bit, but I'm not sure about this.

John Swearingen

judyknox42@...
> Tucson, AZ  85719
> Office message phone  (520) 622-6896

> multipart/alternative
>   text/html
> ---
are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as
an advisory board and technical editing arm.