Re: GSBN:Re: Half lime, half cement plaster mix

Hi Matts,

I think that limewashes would also take well over this plaster, if
they want to mess around with them.  We have often colored limwash by
using concrete pigments, though saturated colors aren't as durable as
lighter ones, due to the higher ratio of coloring solids....

Paul

Dear GSBN-ers,

Some friends of mine are considering using the above ratio of lime and cement
in their plaster.  They recently asked if I knew of any good reason why they
couldn't successfully use standard, commercial plaster pigments to get a color
like mud plaster in the final layer (aka, color coat).  I told them I had
never used pigments in such a mix, but if the pigments consist of
various oxides
of iron, I didn't think that the higher-than-usual amount of lime in the mix
would cause any problems.  If any of you have reason to think that
this was not
a good answer, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

Also, they asked the same question about adding chopped straw to their mix,
in order to get a rustic texture.  I told them that I had only used chopped
straw in mud plasters and in mud/lime plasters, but that I thought
that it would
also work fine in the  half lime/half cement mix, assuming that they didn't
add so much that it significantly weakened the plaster .  Again, if
you think my
answer needs adjustment, please share your thoughts.

All best wishes to you all from Judy and myself.

Matts Myhrman / Judy Knox                        mattsmyhrman@...
Out On  Bale, (un) Ltd.
1037 E. Linden                                           judyknox42@...
Tucson, AZ  85719
Office message phone  (520) 622-6896

representatives of regional straw construction organizations. The
costs of operating this list are underwritten by The Last Straw
Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as an advisory board and
technical editing arm.

list, send email to GSBN@...HELP in the
SUBJECT line.

Paul M. Lacinski
GreenSpace Collaborative
Sidehill Farm
Mail: PO Box 107
Packages: 463 Main Street
Ashfield, MA 01330 USA
+1   413 628 3800

View excerpts from Serious Straw Bale at:
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/seriousstrawbale";>http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/seriousstrawbale</a>