[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: GSBN:Moisture Problem



Paul,

Thanks very much for your frank and open report on the McSweeney house.
I see some parallels to house I have just help complete. Since
plastering the exterior with a hydraulic plaster I have monitored the
moisture level. Specifically because we noticed a damp spot on the
exterior on the spot most exposed to weather that only went away slowly
after removing the scaffolding. The spot dried in about 2 weeks it is
not visible anymore. After doing some hard thinking I realized it was
caused  by splash from water dripping from a roof drain on the scaffold
hitting the wall where the wet spot was only noticed after the scaffold
was removed.

Now back to the parallel with the McSweeney house. The wet spot
prompted me to regularly monitor the bales around the house. We only
just plastered a few of the interior walls with earth plaster so most
places were and are easily accessible from the inside. Instead of the
moisture levels dropping, what I expected, They have been rising not
much but up from 14% to 16% and only on the very outside 30-50mm. The
wet spot is slowly drying albeit very slowly. The house is not occupied
yet and is well ventilated.

Your mail has warned me though to keep a careful watch on the house. As
I subscribe to your idea that the Scandinavian model of having less
permeable finishes on the inside and more open finishes on the exterior
is good practice in the Dutch type of climate. I would love to do a
dynamic moisture transport simulation to better understand what is
happening. Sven Eweleit of Andersehen might be able to help.


Rene
On Nov 10, 2005, at 17:19, Paul Lacinski wrote:

At the end of this email there will also be some questions- I
hope you all will have some ideas to share.