GSBN:2006 ISBBC

Hello All!

Well, things are starting to come together for the 2006 International Straw Bale Building Conference, to be held in Ontario, Canada from September 25-30.

Many of you will have received (or will shortly) notice of the conference directly to your email address, but I also wanted to post the invitation to the GSBN. From here, please feel free to post it locally wherever you think interested participants may see it.

As you'll see, the invitation includes an offer to volunteer yourself for one or more of the panels being planned. Some of you will receive direct offers to participate in specific sessions, but please feel free to offer yourself for any of the sessions you feel you may be able to contribute to.

If you have suggestions, complaints or any other comments about the schedule, please let me know as soon as possible.

I hope the proposed schedule below is exciting and enticing. I'm really looking forward to this event and to seeing many of you there.

Chris

December 20, 2005

Hello GSBNers,

I am writing to invite you to attend the 2006 International Straw Bale Building Conference (ISBBC), to be held near Peterborough, Ontario, Canada from September 23-30, 2006.

I have attended the past three ISBBC events, in Denmark, Australia and Nebraska, and I am very excited about being part of the organization of this conference, on behalf of the Ontario Straw Bale Building Coalition. I have always found these gatherings to be informative, interesting and very, very inspiring, and would like to promise you the same invigorating experience here in Canada in 2006.

This will be the first ISBBC that is specifically aimed at professional bale builders and designers. We are putting together a very comprehensive program intended to help those in the profession become better at what they do, from hands on instruction in specialty areas to design issues to business development. Attached you will find a preliminary schedule of sessions, which I hope you find exciting and intriguing. If you have suggestions for additional sessions youÕd like to see included, please let me know. If you see a session in the list below in which you feel youÕd make an ideal panel or forum participant, please let me know. We will be offering reduced rates to people formally participating in sessions.

We have been offered an exceptionally affordable conference rate at Camp Kawartha (www.campkawartha.ca), largely due to our help in building them a straw bale dining hall and greenhouse. This means that attending the 2006 ISBBC doesnÕt have to break the bank. Early bird registration rates (before March 1, 2006) are only $550 for shared cabin accommodation and $450 for camping. This includes three meals a day, all your conference fees and use of the camp facilities! WhatÕs better, these prices are in Canadian dollars! Our space at the camp is limited to 250 attendees, and will be offered on a first- come, first-served basis.

My own attendance at past ISBBC events has never failed to re- energize me and increase my own network of friends and associates world-wide. I hope that you will like what you see in the proposed program below, and rush to register for the conference at www.strawbalebuilding.ca as soon as youÕve finished reading this!

Yours sincerely,

Chris Magwood
cmagwood@...
613-473-1718

Tentative Schedule for the 2006 ISBBC

*Note: A hands-on component will be focused on the construction of a new office building for our camp hosts. Topics and schedules for hands-on sessions will be announced after the plans for the building have been approved. * One session room per day will be made available for ad hoc and impromptu sessions.

Sunday PM
Welcome and Keynote Address

Monday AM
Home OwnerÕs Forum: A Discussion for Owner/Builders
International Development
Water & Waste Systems: Options and Strategies for Integrating into SB Designs

Monday PM
Design and Designers: How to work together with owners and builders
Foundations: Best materials and practices

Monday Evening
            Keynote Address: David Eisenberg

Tuesday AM
Budgeting and Costing: Estimating practices and examples
Publishing: Books
Other Natural Materials: Design and Build Techniques

Tuesday PM
Insurance: For Homeowners and Builders
Publishing: Journals and newsletters

Tuesday Evening
World Tour of SB: Builders, designers and owners show off slides of their work

Wednesday AM
Business Case Studies: How we make a living with sb
SB Associations: How weÕre organized and how we can work together
Renewable Energies: How to incorporate renewables into bale homes

Wednesday PM
Business Matters: How to be a successful ÒgreenÓ business
Networking with other natural building organizations

Wednesday Evening
Straw Bale Olympics: National and regional teams compete in bale-centered events!

Thurdsay AM
Prefabricated Bale Walls: Experiences and Ideas
Testing: Update on testing done to date
Heating and Cooling: Different technologies/strategies and how to integrate with SB

Thursday PM
Workshops: How to teach a good workshop and developing a curriculum
Testing: Planning a strategy for the future

Thursday Evening
Keynote presentation: A world of natural building slide show
Dance w/live band

Friday AM
Financing: How to obtain financing as an owner and a builder
Codes: A review of the new California codes
Clay and Clay Science/Lime and Lime Science

Friday PM
Entering the Profession: Becoming a paid sb builder
Codes: Looking ahead

Friday Evening
Keynote presentation

Saturday AM
Stock Plans: How to create them and sell them
Training and Standards: Defining a  Straw Bale Professional
Ventilation: Passive and active technologies and strategies

Saturday PM
Case Studies: The Best Sustainable Building IÕve Ever Made
Roofing: Materials and Techniques

Saturday Evening
Closing Keynote

Sunday AM