GSBN:Liberty Mutual insurance + nominate Marcus Hardwick

On Jan 11, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Joyce Coppinger wrote:

Bill,

I'm finishing the 2006 Resource Guide published by The Last Straw and
it has
a pretty comprehensive list of codes, testing and research in it. Bob
Theis
was working on fire tests - maybe he has more information to share.
Bruce
King will chime in, I'm sure - won't you Bruce?

Sure, though I don't have much to add.  Bob Theis wrote a very nice
summary of fire tests and experiences (ie site fires) to date, which is
available for downloading at  www.ecobuildnetwork.org.  A somewhat
expanded version of that will be a chapter of the forthcoming book,
"Design of Plastered Straw Bale Structures", which I dearly hope to
have out by the time of the Canadian ISBBC (September).

The Australians and Germans, maybe others, have done some good fire
tests.  We in the USA have done a series of incomplete fire tests, and
are thus still a little bit stuck with building officials and insurers.

When I received a large grant for SB testing four years ago, I thought
a good (US) test would be imminently completed;  it wasn't, and likely
never will be.  Had I known, I would have funded and done one myself.
Sooner or later we'll find some money, somehow, and do a Murrican test
for Murrican building officials and insurers, but until then we in the
USA remain in a sort of limbo.

AND

I wish to nominate Marcus Hardwick to this list.  Marcus is a builder
and fine human being who lives here in northern California, has been
very active with CASBA and innumerable actual building projects for a
long time, and is constantly coming up with better ways of doing
things.  Any seconds?

Thanks!

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )