Re: GSBN:Liberty Mutual insurance + nominate Marcus Hardwick

I'll second Marcus. And I think Bruce has pretty much said what I would say re fire testing. The funding I was hoping would come about through a Pennsylvania project for an ASTM E-119 Full Scale 2 Hour Fire Test has still not materialized. You will all know if and when it does.

David Eisenberg

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce King ecobruce@...
To: GSBN GSBN@...
Cc: Marcus Hardwick marcus1@...
Sent: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:02:59 -0800
Subject: GSBN:Liberty Mutual insurance + nominate Marcus Hardwick

  On Jan 11, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Joyce Coppinger wrote:Ê
> Bill,Ê
> I'm finishing the 2006 Resource Guide published by The Last Straw andÊ
> it hasÊ
> a pretty comprehensive list of codes, testing and research in it. BobÊ
> TheisÊ
> was working on fire tests - maybe he has more information to share.Ê
> BruceÊ
> King will chime in, I'm sure - won't you Bruce?Ê
Sure, though I don't have much to add. Bob Theis wrote a very niceÊ
summary of fire tests and experiences (ie site fires) to date, which isÊ
available for downloading at www.ecobuildnetwork.org. A somewhatÊ
expanded version of that will be a chapter of the forthcoming book,Ê
"Design of Plastered Straw Bale Structures", which I dearly hope toÊ
have out by the time of the Canadian ISBBC (September).Ê
The Australians and Germans, maybe others, have done some good fireÊ
tests. We in the USA have done a series of incomplete fire tests, andÊ
are thus still a little bit stuck with building officials and insurers.Ê
When I received a large grant for SB testing four years ago, I thoughtÊ
a good (US) test would be imminently completed; it wasn't, and likelyÊ
never will be. Had I known, I would have funded and done one myself.Ê
Sooner or later we'll find some money, somehow, and do a Murrican testÊ
for Murrican building officials and insurers, but until then we in theÊ
USA remain in a sort of limbo.Ê
ANDÊ
I wish to nominate Marcus Hardwick to this list. Marcus is a builderÊ
and fine human being who lives here in northern California, has beenÊ
very active with CASBA and innumerable actual building projects for aÊ
long time, and is constantly coming up with better ways of doingÊ
things. Any seconds?Ê
Thanks!Ê
Bruce King, PEÊ
Director, Ecological Building Network ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )Ê
Publisher, Green Building Press ( www.greenbuildingpress.com )Ê
209 Caledonia St.Ê
Sausalito, CA 94965 USAÊ
(415) 331-7630Ê
bruce@ ecobuildnetwork.orgÊ
--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---Ê
multipart/alternativeÊ
Êtext/plain (text body -- kept)Ê
Êtext/enrichedÊ
---Ê
----Ê
GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.Ê
For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line. ----Ê