GSBN:nomination Tom Rijven - moisture

Hello there,

- would it be nice to include Tom Rijven. He is on Internet since a while,
spearheading writing a book at the moment.

- moisture: I had some problems with lime plaster, similar recepy what
Pascal is applying since years.

The bales are fermenting and smelling (during storms) on all 4 sides of the
house. They are not rotting yet. The limeplaster consists of 1/2 hydraulic
and half airlime for the first layer and 2 layers of airlime. We got a few
small cracks as the lime is applied direclty to the I-beam construction.
We've got tape on the beams so cracking will be between tape and plaster and
plastic mash around the walls. It's been not sufficient. Same the lime did
not really dry well. After frost 3 m2 of the 3rd layer fell down. The truth
window showed some black mushrooms as the glass of the window did not
breath. Kuba, who is preparing his thesis on moisture issues looked to it,
good stuff for his research. He will come up with a questionaire for all of
us, trying to articulate our common experience into clear criteria and
possibly results.

We are going to cure these failures with wood all around the building.

The house is directly exposed to the atlantic storms with horizontal rains
of some pressure, changing wind directions, its salty etc. So it seems to be
clear no plastering in extreme conditions, which I thought might be
possible.

On the other hand the house is performing well. We heat the two parts of the
house presently with one Joetul woodstove in the morning and evening. Nice
temperature.

Best wishes, Martin Oehlmann

PS: you might link www.ecovacancesbretagne.com to your site: a nice
opportunity to have holidays in a strawbale house in Brittany.... Thank
you - merci.