GSBN:re: nomination Tom Rijven - moisture

Hello Martin and all,

Would absolutely welcome Tom Rijven on this list.

Sorry to hear about your failing lime plaster. As you already say,
plastering strawbale walls may not be suitable for your particular
climate and frost is definitely a killer if plaster is not dry and
cured. However, we had a look at your strawbale house and believe that
the design may be of greater concern in regards to the plaster than the
climate. We can see why you (most likely) chose this particular design,
- to build a house that looks like a typical farm/country house in
Brittany?! Please do not get us wrong, we like the look of the house,
but as already discussed many times on all strawbale lists:
With strawbale construction, and of course especially in cold & wet
climates, protection of rendered walls with large roof overhangs or
possibly wrap around verandas is absolutely essential. In other words,
we believe lime plastered walls would work well in your climate if the
design of the house had been adjusted to be more appropriate to
strawbale construction and given climate conditions.

We hope the bales will recover from the moisture problems and look
forward to hear how it all works out with wood cladding.

All the best, Frank Thomas

Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow, Strawbale Construction
Ph. & Fax: + 61 2 4443 5282 Mobile: 0408415806
 <<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:strawbales@bigpond.com";>mailto:strawbales@...> strawbales@...
 <<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawtec.com.au";>http://www.strawtec.com.au</a>> www.strawtec.com.au