Re: GSBN:nomination Tom Rijven - moisture

<x-charset iso-8859-2>Hello everyone,

I'd like to second nomination of Tom Rijven to GSBN now, that he has the
internet connection. Last time I spoke to him, he told me, that he founded
the mobile school (called botte mobil - mobile bale), teaching his straw
bale technique to everyone who is interested. He leaves a great number of
beautifully earth plastered straw bale houses behind him every year, but
not only houses, a lot of inspired people as well. Tom is an artist and
explorer. He would definitely be a great contribution to this discussion.

Kuba.

> Hello there,
>
> - would it be nice to include Tom Rijven. He is on Internet since a while,
> spearheading writing a book at the moment.
>
> - moisture: I had some problems with lime plaster, similar recepy what
> Pascal is applying since years.
>
> The bales are fermenting and smelling (during storms) on all 4 sides of
> the
> house. They are not rotting yet. The limeplaster consists of 1/2 hydraulic
> and half airlime for the first layer and 2 layers of airlime. We got a few
> small cracks as the lime is applied direclty to the I-beam construction.
> We've got tape on the beams so cracking will be between tape and plaster
> and
> plastic mash around the walls. It's been not sufficient. Same the lime did
> not really dry well. After frost 3 m2 of the 3rd layer fell down. The
> truth
> window showed some black mushrooms as the glass of the window did not
> breath. Kuba, who is preparing his thesis on moisture issues looked to it,
> good stuff for his research. He will come up with a questionaire for all
> of
> us, trying to articulate our common experience into clear criteria and
> possibly results.
>
> We are going to cure these failures with wood all around the building.
>
> The house is directly exposed to the atlantic storms with horizontal rains
> of some pressure, changing wind directions, its salty etc. So it seems to
> be
> clear no plastering in extreme conditions, which I thought might be
> possible.
>
> On the other hand the house is performing well. We heat the two parts of
> the
> house presently with one Joetul woodstove in the morning and evening. Nice
> temperature.
>
> Best wishes, Martin Oehlmann
>
> PS: you might link www.ecovacancesbretagne.com to your site: a nice
> opportunity to have holidays in a strawbale house in Brittany.... Thank
> you - merci.

> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
> list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
> GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.

Kuba

3 Blvd. de la Villette
75010 Paris

+33 (0)1 42 41 04 94