GSBN:Re: Earthquake Pakistan and SB

Bruce King would have useful information on earthquake design parameters,
some of which is available on his web site,
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/";>http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/</a>>.  I would think that the choice between
load bearing and infill designs would depend in a large measure on the
resources and materials available, and the requirements and preferences of
the local individuals and institutions.  The Steen's current system, which
is something of a hybrid between load bearing and infill, is a design
approach that could adapt well to locations where industrially produced
building materials are scarce.

Roof structures are problematic in every structure, and all the more in
resource-scarce, earthquake-prone locations.  Keeping weight out of the
roof is valuable in decreasing earthquake fatalities and injuries.  I have
recently began learning about various designs for light-weight (thin shell)
monolithic latex-modified portland cement roofs.  In particular, roof
designs built from one or more hyperbolic paraboloids.  I think this
technology might be useful for roofing strawbale buildings, in some
situations, such as this Pakistan project.

A Google search on "hyperbolic paraboloid latex cement roof" will give you
some links.  One, by Albert Knott and others
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.edc-cu.org/pdf/Acrylic%20Concrete%20Roofs.pdf";>http://www.edc-cu.org/pdf/Acrylic%20Concrete%20Roofs.pdf</a>>, gives a fair
overview.  This is not a particularly new technology, so perhaps some of
the engineers on the list can comment.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...

--On Monday, January 23, 2006 6:06 PM +1100 Huff'n'Puff