Re: GSBN:Re: Earthquake Pakistan and SB

G ' day Eco Bruce and the Derelict One

Thanks for the replies and for the very useful information.

The roof is always going to be a problem and lightweight low cost bamboo
comes to mind but what to clad it with?  There must be a material like
canvass which is light and also provides insulation?

Also the news that load bearing is the way to go provided the foot is
connected to the knee bone which is connected to the thigh bone which is
connected to the neck bone and so on makes a lot of sense.

We too are using Bill and Athena's hybrid method these days for small
bales.  We are using all thread in pairs every 1.8 metres as well as
connecting the window and door frames to the top plates after compression.
Makes sense and is a wonderful compromise and a true hybrid.

When we get back from Victoria I will post some photos on SB r-us of the
latest home we built using this method.  I feel it will be very good for
earthquake areas and what you both have indicated to me I feel we are on the
right track.

Biggest problem in Pakistan will be the supply of good bales of straw.

Thanks for the advice chaps off to Victoria today where we are running a
workshop unfortunately we are heading into some very hot weather over 40C
for a few days and several bush fires still burning down there.

Thanks Bill C for fixing up my email.

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions