-> Re: GSBN:French building code (DTU)
     by Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...
-> Re: GSBN:French building code (DTU)
     by "Andre de Bouter" forum@...

Date: 10 Feb 2006 10:43:58 -0600
From: Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:French building code (DTU)

Andre,

Beware of the pitfalls of a building code. What gets into a code might
turn out to be a mill stone in the future. The technology is still
rapidly developing and changing a once accepted code is difficult.

At present one of the best examples of building practice that I am
aware of, besides the various US county codes, is the Danish By og Byg
Halmhuse document containing best practices and relevant data. I think
personaaly that this type of document/research is the best way forward.

Rene
On Feb 9, 2006, at 14:41, Andre de Bouter wrote:

> Helo everyone,
>
> As some of you know, France is similar to Crestone in that we have no
> obligation
> to follow building codes. This 'anarchy' is very much appreciated by
> the owner
> builders but has a the downside that we don't have the same common
> (owner
> builders and proffessional builders) incentive to obtain a french
> building code
> (called DTU).
>
> T support the/future proffessional builders there is a certain demand
> for a
> french SB DTU (so proffessionals can more easily be covered by an
> insurance).
>
> We hope to have a national reunion this spring, and a future DTU will
> certainly
> be one of the main subjects. Some feel that 1 building method should
> be chosen
> (imagine 15 cheese smelling guys and girls all having a different
> opinion on
> which method should be chosen) and other feel it should be a general
> code not
> excluding anything.
>
> My basic questions are:
>
> - Are there any building codes (or other documents) that you feel are
> so good
> they could be used as a blueprint.
> - How have you gone about in your country?
> - What's up in the rest of Europe?
>

> Any input is very much appreciated,
>
> Andre
>
> La Maison en Paille
> www.lamaisonenpaille.com
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and
> representatives of regional straw construction organizations. The
> costs of operating this list are underwritten by The Last Straw
> Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as an advisory board and
> technical editing arm.

> SUBJECT line.

On a personal level I share your opinion. But as 'lots of people' want a
french
DTU to come about, I would like it to have as few mill stones as possible
if/when it comes about.

Do you know if the 'Danish By og Byg Halmhuse' doc available in English?
Lars???

Bye,

Andr#233#

Selon Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...: