Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi All

There are 2 struggling lists in Australia, both with some difficulties of being user friendly and getting the messages out to the right people.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.ausbale.org/";>http://www.ausbale.org/</a>
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php";>http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php</a>

I loved SB-R-us in the early days of learning, and once archived key points out myself. Then I moved onto just getting the daily then monthly digest as the computer was starting to control my life. Then rapidly recognised that you could never scan through these and left the site all together.

So what is left is systems that don't fill the needs of our sb novice in Australia, or something so overconsuming that the only real option is to delete. I would hate to see the ozzies or any other association suggest what ESBN has. I feel we need a realistic alternate option.

I love the small world approach, having had a unique opportunity to travel around Australia and Europe seeing SB houses, I love the local approaches, and feel for those who do not get this exposure are missing out on a lot of lateral thinking.

So what is the middle ground. In my world outside of SB I note there are a lot of discussion boards that provide what yahoo does not do efficiently. And that is to recognise that 900 members all have different interest - and that the 200 - 400 messages per month that this site posts can be overwhelming to the majority most of the time.

This is a successful example (topic not relevant) of a discussion board divided into 24 public areas of interest ... forums; and I am sure has several private forums.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/";>http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/</a>
You can elect which forums you want to receive information about and not have your email overwhelmed by other topics. Forums can be closed eg GSBN. Have a focus of interest eg country, continent, association, faqs, calendar, workshops, technical, building codes, owner builders, renders etc etc etc.
It can be a place where we are globally together.

The set up for the AUSBALE that Andrew has done has followed this line, but we do not have the turnover to make it work.

If we bring all the little global discussion boards onto one site then this would be an amazing resource, but better ... it can be specific to each of our needs. If you elect only to receive the GSBN and your local association then that is okay ... we really don't need to know who is selling cheap straw in Spain.

I think any association that wants to use such a site, and benefit from the increase exposure should contribute ... with enough involved then the cost should be able to be able to be covered by such not-for-profit groups. Sponsorship / advertising are other thoughts.

Just a thought

Chris

Chris Newton
Earth-n-Straw Pty Ltd
phone: 041 319 5585
web: www.newtonhouse.info/straw.htm
(this email was created and sent using solar power)

----- Original Message ----- From: strawnet@...