[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

GSBN: Digest for 2/27/06



This message contains a digest of the messages posted to the list today. If
you reply to this message, please be sure to change the subject line to
something meaningful. Also, be careful not to include the entire text of this
message in your reply.


---------------------------------------------------------------------


-> Re: GSBN:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other administrivia
     by "Bohdan Dorniak & Co Pty Ltd" bdco@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by "Andre de Bouter" forum@...
-> RE: GSBN:Re Janet, Greg & Turco; was:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other
administrivia
     by Maurice Bennett mbenn1035@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by strawnet@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by "Andre de Bouter" forum@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by billc_lists@...
-> Re: GSBN: Re Janet, Greg & Turko
     by Martin Hammer mfhammer@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by Judyknox42@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by "Chris" chris@...
-> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
     by Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 01:54:38 -0600
From: "Bohdan Dorniak & Co Pty Ltd" bdco@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other administrivia

Hi Joyce
How are things in USA?
Ausbale is still alive and survivng
I hope to be able to come to the Ottawa SB Conference.

Could you please update my email address to  bdco@...
Thanks a million
Bohdan
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Joyce Coppinger" jc10508@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: GSBN:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other administrivia


> Nehemiah,
>
> I think Bob Bolles sent a message to GSBN saying that CASBA was going to
> check their own list and see who else they wanted to nominate to GSBN.
>
> Joyce
>
> on 2/26/06 8:27 PM, Nehemiah  Stone at stoneandstraw@...:
>
>> Did this get lost.  I saw not reply either way to my question.  Since
>> Janet
>> designed and runs the pro-courses in California, I am a little surprised
>> that she is not on the list.  Was that a decision, or an oversight?
>> Nehemiah
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Nehemiah
>> Stone
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 8:18 PM
>> To: 'GSBN'
>> Subject: RE: GSBN:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other administrivia
>>
>> I am surprised to see that Janet Johnston is not on the list.  Nor are
>> the
>> Straw Dawgs.  Decision or oversight?
>> Nehemiah
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of
>> billc_lists@...
>> Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 1:03 PM
>> To: GSBN@...
>> Subject: GSBN:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other administrivia
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Martin has been added to GSBN.
>>
>> Welcome!
>>
>> Archives of the discussions exist on a separate Yahoo group at
>> <a  target="_blank" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsbn-greenbuilder/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gsbn-greenbuilder/</a>.  Click the "sign in"
>> link
>> at the top of the page and sign in with YahooID = gsbn123 and password
>> bale123
>>
>> To post to the list, send an email to GSBN@...
>>
>> Please look over the list of current participants below and see if we're
>> missing anyone important.  The last two additions were accompanied with
>> the
>> sound of forehead-slapping and "I figured he was already a member..."
>>
>> E-Mail Address  Name - Location, affiliation
>>
>> shipharbour@...Thompson - Ship Harbour NS Canada
>> jfstraube@...Straube- Canada
>> orcaarchi@...Van Zoom - Belgium
>> ds@...Scharmer - Germany
>> thelaststraw@...Coppinger Managing Editor of TLS -
>> Nebraska USA
>> atelier_schmidt@...Schmidt - Switzerland
>> info@...Jones- England
>> chug@..."Chug" Tugby -
>> Wales-Ireland-Scotland-England
>> rene.dalmeijer@...Dalmeijer - Netherlands
>> habibg@...John Gonzalez - British Colombia. Canada
>> bobregon@...Obregon - Austin.Texas USA
>> fiodanbuck@...Buck - Santa Fe. New Mexico USA
>> strawbales@...Thomas - NSW Australia
>> forum@...de Bouter - France
>> bob@...Bolles - San Diego California USA
>> paul@...,  Ashfield, MA USA
>> dan@...Smith - California
>> lorobles55@...Robles - France
>> Zypresse1@...Linde - Deutchland
>> judyknox42@...Knox - Tucson Arizona USA
>> ketsie@...Port - New Jersey USA
>> mattsmyhrman@...Myhrman - Tucson Arizona USA
>> thangmaker@...Meyer - Austin.Texas USA
>> strawnet@...Eisenberg - Tucson.Arizona USA
>> kuba@...
>> mark@...Piepkorn - USA nomadic
>> stafford@...Stafford - Washington USA
>> mbenn1035@...Bennett - California USA
>> struemplerconsulting@...Struempler - Carbondale CO USA
>> 5acf1@...Archive (sustainablesources.com/GSBNarchives)
>> billc_lists@...Christensen - Austin.Texas USA
>> johns@...Swearingen - USA California
>> gsbn-greenbuilder@...Groups archive
>> jeff@...Ruppert - Boulder. CO. USA (COSBA)
>> blackrange@...Wanek -Hillsboro New Mexico USA
>> CatherineW@...Wanek (alternate address)
>> Sue.Murray@...Murray - Austin.Texas USA
>> adramon@...Christiansen - Mongolia
>> chris@...Newton  Brisbane Queensland AU
>> rolf@...Jacobson - Norway
>> moehlmann@...Oehlmann - Netherlands, France
>> Pascal.THEPAUT@...Thepaut - France
>> marcus1@...Hardwick - California, USA
>> stoneandstraw@...Stone - Loomis California USA
>> dawnaz@...Joyce -Tucson Arizona USA
>> ecobruce@...King - Sausalito California USA
>> jc10508@...Coppinger - Lincoln Nebraska USA (SBAN, MASBA)
>> absteen@...and Athena Steen - USA Arizona - Mexico
>> Cd. Obregon
>>
>> larskeller@...Keller- Friland Denmark
>> timok@...Owen-Kennedy  Ukiah California, USA
>> cmagwood@...Magwood Editor of TLS - Ontario CA
>> info@...- Tucson Arizona USA
>> imagine@...&amp; Per Bernard - Victoria Australia
>> huffnpuff@...Glassford - NSW Australia
>> bdco@...Dorniak - Australia
>> m.faine@...Faine - U of Western Sydney, AU
>> j.zhang@...Zhang - U of Western Sydney, AU
>> derek@...Roff - Albuquerque New Mexico USA
>> bainbrid@...Bainbridge - San Diego California USA
>> iae@...Shirokov - Belarus
>> mfhammer@...Hammer - California, USA
>>
>> ArchiLogic@...Tom - Kanata Ontario Canada
>> klerner@...Lerner - Mongolia, Seattle WA USA
>> ecodesign@...,  Warkworth NZ
>>
>> --
>> Bill Christensen
>> <<a  target="_blank" href="http://sustainablesources.com/contact/";>http://sustainablesources.com/contact/</a>>
>>
>> Green Building Professionals Directory:
>> <<a  target="_blank" href="http://directory.sustainablesources.com";>http://directory.sustainablesources.com</a>>
>> Sustainable Building Calendar: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://SustainableSources.com/calendar/";>http://SustainableSources.com/calendar/</a>>
>> Green Real Estate: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://SustainableSources.com/realestate/";>http://SustainableSources.com/realestate/</a>>
>> Straw Bale Registry: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com/";>http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com/</a>>
>> Books/videos/software: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://bookstore.sustainablesources.com/";>http://bookstore.sustainablesources.com/</a>>
>> ----
>> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
>> of
>> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
>> list
>> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
>> GSBN
>> as an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>>
>> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
>> send
>> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
>> ----
>>
>>
>> ----
>> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
>> of
>> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
>> list
>> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
>> GSBN
>> as an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>>
>> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
>> send
>> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
>> ----
>>
>>
>> ----
>> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
>> of
>> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
>> list
>> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
>> GSBN as
>> an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>>
>> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
>> send
>> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
>> ----
>>
>
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
> list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
> GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
> send email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
>



----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 09:58:44 -0600
From: "Andre de Bouter" forum@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi,

I agree with the Straw Wolf, one SB general public list for all kind of SB
stuff: SB-R-US!

If it is impossible to keep the European Straw Bale Network (ESBN) list to the
subject of European SB networking than I'm for taking it out of the air and
suggesting its members to migrate to SB-R-US. But I'm not an active member on
the ESBN list and so don't feel like trying going on that list to pull its
plug.
If anyone on this lists IS an active member on the ESBN list and shares my
opinion ...

(With our 5 month baby girl, a 3 year old son I don't even find the time to
read
the digests of SB-R-US or ESBN.)

Bale on,

Andr#233#

PS yes Chug, I did film a big part of the Redfield event but don't think the
quality is worth getting it out.


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 10:41:06 -0600
From: Maurice Bennett mbenn1035@...
Subject: RE: GSBN:Re Janet, Greg &amp; Turco; was:Welcome Martin Hammer; Other
administrivia

OK -

I second Janet, Greg and Turko and will review the
list to ascertain other cogent omissions -

Thanks for the prompt.  MHB

- --- Nehemiah  Stone stoneandstraw@...
wrote:

> Bbbobbb,
> I didn't see your earlier email, so maybe Maury
> didn't either?
> Nehemiah
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On
> Behalf Of Bob Bolles
> Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 7:24 PM
> To: GSBN
> Subject: GSBN:Re Janet, Greg &amp; Turco; was:Welcome
> Martin Hammer; Other
> administrivia
>
> Absolutely second, all 3 counts.
> Re my suggestion to Maury to review the CASBA
> membership for others that
> have been overlooked, I never received any response~
> bb
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bruce King" ecobruce@...
> > I don't think it was a decision, which would make
> it an oversight --
> > one that I emphatically propose be corrected.  I
> nominate to the
> > Global Straw Building Network:
> >
> > Janet Johnston Armstrong
> janet@...
> > Turko Semmes    turko@...
> > Greg MacMillan  greg@...
> >
> > Greg and Turko, the legendary Straw Dogs,
> essentially founded CASBA.
> > Janet has kept it lively.
> >
> > Seconds?
> <snip>
>
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals
> and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs
> of operating this list
> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in
> exchange for use of the GSBN
> as an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise
> using the GSBN list, send
> email to GSBN@...HELP in
> the SUBJECT line.
> ----
>
>

>
>


Maurice and Joy Bennett


You must be the change you want to see in the world.   Gandhi




----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 11:00:27 -0600
From: strawnet@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi all,

I've been reading this discussion with great interest, but I keep 
thinking back to the origin of this list - which was to have a place 
for connecting the people who are working regionally, nationally, or 
internationally at a technical and/or professional level, to network, 
explore, develop, share/disseminate high quality information without 
the distraction of the constant newbie questions or the huge challenge 
of sorting through the high noise-to-signal-ratio in high volume public 
listserves.

I got off the other sb lists because I simply haven't had the time for 
many years to even skim these lists, much less read them. I realize 
that my focus is much larger than just straw bale, as it is for many 
others on this list, but in my view, there is a huge difference in the 
percentage of posts to this list that are of both interest and use to 
me than any of the other lists I was on after the first several years 
when we were all pretty much beginners.

I have tremendous appreciation for the beginner's mind - the ability to 
ask the most essential questions not blinded by expertise... and 
equally, of the importance of sharing what comes out of this list that 
would be valuable to anyone working in this field. But I am very 
concerned that if we just migrate to a single public list, the value 
that is inherent in the type of exchanges that take place here would be 
lost in the deluge of postings that are not on point and that have been 
rehashed a thousands times already. This is not an elitist rant - I 
just can't read or wade through those same twenty or thirty questions 
anymore unless I'm teaching a workshop or expressly engaged with people 
just finding out about sb. I hope this list will remain what it has 
been - the highest level of sharing and exploring information, 
experience, research, technique, and leadership among the most 
knowledgeable and experienced people in this arena.

I loved the idea of making the archives available to the public, and it 
was great when Joyce published some of the moisture discussion a while 
back in The Last Straw. A regular feature along those lines might be a 
great thing. But I just have too much on my plate to wade through what 
makes up the vast majority of the posts to the public forums.

It probably isn't appropriate for me to comment on what people on lists 
that I don't subscribe to should do, but it probably would be good to 
have a single global open list as long as it wouldn't just be 
overwhelmed (or overwhelming) by the sheer volume of postings. What 
would be ideal, in my opinion, is that those of you who are on the 
other lists, when something comes up that should be of interest to 
everyone on this list, you would report it here. And when there are 
relevant things here to discussions there, that they be shared or that 
people are pointed to the relevant archives of this list.

One last thought is that if someone were interested in managing it, 
perhaps we could have a portal for people to pose questions or provide 
specific information that we might want to know about in this group to 
this list, making it as clear as possible that we won't necessarily 
respond and that the questions need to be about topics not already 
covered in the archives of this or other lists...just a thought.

I want to say what a source of inspiration and information this list 
is. The quality of the discourse here is what keeps me involved, while 
sb represents perhaps ten percent or what I am involved with these 
days. I hope we don't lose or dilute this...maybe we should figure out 
how to bottle it...

David Eisenberg

- -----Original Message-----
From: Andre de Bouter forum@...
To: GSBN GSBN@...
Sent: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:48:50 +0100
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

  Hi,

I agree with the Straw Wolf, one SB general public list for all kind of 
SB
stuff: SB-R-US!

If it is impossible to keep the European Straw Bale Network (ESBN) list 
to the
subject of European SB networking than I'm for taking it out of the air 
and
suggesting its members to migrate to SB-R-US. But I'm not an active 
member on
the ESBN list and so don't feel like trying going on that list to pull 
its plug.
If anyone on this lists IS an active member on the ESBN list and shares 
my
opinion ...

(With our 5 month baby girl, a 3 year old son I don't even find the 
time to read
the digests of SB-R-US or ESBN.)

Bale on,

Andre

PS yes Chug, I did film a big part of the Redfield event but don't 
think the
quality is worth getting it out.
- ----
GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives 
of
regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this 
list are
underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN 
as an
advisory board and technical editing arm.

For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, 
send
email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
- ----


   


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 11:46:13 -0600
From: "Andre de Bouter" forum@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi,

Forgot to mention the obvious: Yes, the GSBN should continue!
And I second David's suggestion in creating #224# 'portal'.

Bale me up Scotty

Andr#233#



Selon Andr#233# de Bouter forum@...:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with the Straw Wolf, one SB general public list for all kind of SB
> stuff: SB-R-US!
>
> If it is impossible to keep the European Straw Bale Network (ESBN) list to
> the
> subject of European SB networking than I'm for taking it out of the air and
> suggesting its members to migrate to SB-R-US. But I'm not an active member
on
> the ESBN list and so don't feel like trying going on that list to pull its
> plug.
> If anyone on this lists IS an active member on the ESBN list and shares my
> opinion ...
>
> (With our 5 month baby girl, a 3 year old son I don't even find the time to
> read
> the digests of SB-R-US or ESBN.)
>
> Bale on,
>
> Andr#233#
>
> PS yes Chug, I did film a big part of the Redfield event but don't think the
> quality is worth getting it out.
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list
> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN
as
> an advisory board and technical editing arm.
>
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send
> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
>
>




----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 12:45:09 -0600
From: billc_lists@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

The idea of a "portal" to GSBN is an interesting one...

One thing in the back of my mind that's a problem with the current
Yahoo archiving of GSBN is that you have to log in as a specific user
in order to read.  People seem to be having trouble figuring that
out... SO

I've just changed it to allow anyone to read.  Let me know if that
bothers anyone.

I've also updated the description there a bit to redirect general SB
questions to SB-R-Us and to be absolutely clear that posts and
membership requests to the GSBN archive group will be ignored.

We'll see if that helps any.


- --
Bill Christensen
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://sustainablesources.com/contact/";>http://sustainablesources.com/contact/</a>>

Green Building Professionals Directory: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://directory.sustainablesources.com";>http://directory.sustainablesources.com</a>>
Sustainable Building Calendar: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://SustainableSources.com/calendar/";>http://SustainableSources.com/calendar/</a>>
Green Real Estate: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://SustainableSources.com/realestate/";>http://SustainableSources.com/realestate/</a>>
Straw Bale Registry: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com/";>http://sbregistry.sustainablesources.com/</a>>
Books/videos/software: <<a  target="_blank" href="http://bookstore.sustainablesources.com/";>http://bookstore.sustainablesources.com/</a>>


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 14:50:18 -0600
From: Martin Hammer mfhammer@...
Subject: Re: GSBN: Re Janet, Greg &amp; Turko

It seems it's already official, but I will second all three as well -  just
for emphasis.  Janet, Greg and Turko have great knowledge, experience, and
have done an enormous amount for strawbale in California and elsewhere.
They are also great fun.  Is that last one a prerequisite?

Martin Hammer

> OK -
>
> I second Janet, Greg and Turko and will review the
> list to ascertain other cogent omissions -
>
> Thanks for the prompt.  MHB
>



----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 15:17:27 -0600
From: Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Joyce,

You are quite correct on all accounts. The discussions have either been 
over the European list or via direct exchanges. I am not aware of all 
the discussions but the major topics have come up on GSBN. and Dirk is 
the center of the discussion with Andre recently starting the latest 
discussion regarding a SB code for France which was mainly done over 
GSBN.

Rene
On Feb 26, 2006, at 20:57, Joyce Coppinger wrote:

> There was discussion at ISBBC in Denmark about a separate list for
> discussion of European codes and testing, but it seems this has either 
> been
> done through GSBN or through email exchanges between individuals 
> involved in
> the actual creation of European codes or testing that's being done in
> Europe. I think perhaps Rene and Dirk and a few others were involved in
> this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this. Perhaps they can 
> share
> more information with you and with the rest of us on the GSBN list.



----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 18:16:45 -0600
From: Judyknox42@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi everyone,
I've been reading and pondering all the entries into this discussion, and
seeing the merit in differing points of view...and remaining unclear how to
think
about all of of this.
However, when I read David Eisenberg's entry (below) I felt he said it all
for me (now why does this keep happening, David?!).  I vote for keeping the
GSBN
what it has always been AND finding a way to allow everyone to access good
information about straw-bale...let's not get caught up in either/or when, with
a
little imagination and expertise (which I definitely do NOT have...expertise
, that is) we can accomplish both purposes.
It's always sooo good to hear from all of you out there, and inspiring and
hopeful to know you are active and caring about the straw-bale revival.
Matts and I send fond greetings
Judy

>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading this discussion with great interest, but I keep
> thinking back to the origin of this list - which was to have a place
> for connecting the people who are working regionally, nationally, or
> internationally at a technical and/or professional level, to network,
> explore, develop, share/disseminate high quality information without
> the distraction of the constant newbie questions or the huge challenge
> of sorting through the high noise-to-signal-ratio in high volume public
> listserves.
>
> I got off the other sb lists because I simply haven't had the time for
> many years to even skim these lists, much less read them. I realize
> that my focus is much larger than just straw bale, as it is for many
> others on this list, but in my view, there is a huge difference in the
> percentage of posts to this list that are of both interest and use to
> me than any of the other lists I was on after the first several years
> when we were all pretty much beginners.
>
> I have tremendous appreciation for the beginner's mind - the ability to
> ask the most essential questions not blinded by expertise... and
> equally, of the importance of sharing what comes out of this list that
> would be valuable to anyone working in this field. But I am very
> concerned that if we just migrate to a single public list, the value
> that is inherent in the type of exchanges that take place here would be
> lost in the deluge of postings that are not on point and that have been
> rehashed a thousands times already. This is not an elitist rant - I
> just can't read or wade through those same twenty or thirty questions
> anymore unless I'm teaching a workshop or expressly engaged with people
> just finding out about sb. I hope this list will remain what it has
> been - the highest level of sharing and exploring information,
> experience, research, technique, and leadership among the most
> knowledgeable and experienced people in this arena.
>
> I loved the idea of making the archives available to the public, and it
> was great when Joyce published some of the moisture discussion a while
> back in The Last Straw. A regular feature along those lines might be a
> great thing. But I just have too much on my plate to wade through what
> makes up the vast majority of the posts to the public forums.
>
> It probably isn't appropriate for me to comment on what people on lists
> that I don't subscribe to should do, but it probably would be good to
> have a single global open list as long as it wouldn't just be
> overwhelmed (or overwhelming) by the sheer volume of postings. What
> would be ideal, in my opinion, is that those of you who are on the
> other lists, when something comes up that should be of interest to
> everyone on this list, you would report it here. And when there are
> relevant things here to discussions there, that they be shared or that
> people are pointed to the relevant archives of this list.
>
> One last thought is that if someone were interested in managing it,
> perhaps we could have a portal for people to pose questions or provide
> specific information that we might want to know about in this group to
> this list, making it as clear as possible that we won't necessarily
> respond and that the questions need to be about topics not already
> covered in the archives of this or other lists...just a thought.
>
> I want to say what a source of inspiration and information this list
> is. The quality of the discourse here is what keeps me involved, while
> sb represents perhaps ten percent or what I am involved with these
> days. I hope we don't lose or dilute this...maybe we should figure out
> how to bottle it...
>
> David Eisenberg
>
>


Judy Knox and Matts Myhrman
Out On Bale
1037 E. Linden St.
Tucson, Az  85719
520-622-6896
judyknox42@...
mattsmyhrman@...

Each of us can and must champion the evolutionary breakthroughs necessary to
sustain all life.  The journey of a champion is difficult, AND our access to a
joyful life.
Judy Knox


- --- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---
multipart/alternative
  text/plain (text body -- kept)
  text/html
- ---


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 19:40:41 -0600
From: Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Thanks for clarifying this and reminding us of what is happening, Rene.

Joyce

on 2.27.2006 3:09 PM, Rene Dalmeijer at rene.dalmeijer@...:

> Joyce,
> 
> You are quite correct on all accounts. The discussions have either been
> over the European list or via direct exchanges. I am not aware of all
> the discussions but the major topics have come up on GSBN. and Dirk is
> the center of the discussion with Andre recently starting the latest
> discussion regarding a SB code for France which was mainly done over
> GSBN.
> 
> Rene
> On Feb 26, 2006, at 20:57, Joyce Coppinger wrote:
> 
>> There was discussion at ISBBC in Denmark about a separate list for
>> discussion of European codes and testing, but it seems this has either
>> been
>> done through GSBN or through email exchanges between individuals
>> involved in
>> the actual creation of European codes or testing that's being done in
>> Europe. I think perhaps Rene and Dirk and a few others were involved in
>> this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this. Perhaps they can
>> share
>> more information with you and with the rest of us on the GSBN list.
> 
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list
> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN
as
> an advisory board and technical editing arm.
> 
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send
> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
> 



----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 20:40:21 -0600
From: "Chris" chris@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi All

There are 2 struggling lists in Australia, both with some difficulties of 
being user friendly and getting the messages out to the right people.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.ausbale.org/";>http://www.ausbale.org/</a>
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php";>http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php</a>

I loved SB-R-us in the early days of learning, and once archived key points 
out myself. Then I moved onto just getting the daily then monthly digest as 
the computer was starting to control my life. Then rapidly recognised that 
you could never scan through these and left the site all together.

<a  target="_blank" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SB-r-us/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SB-r-us/</a>

So what is left is systems that don't fill the needs of our sb novice in 
Australia, or something so overconsuming that the only real option is to 
delete. I would hate to see the ozzies or any other association suggest what 
ESBN has. I feel we need a realistic alternate option.

I love the small world approach, having had a unique opportunity to travel 
around Australia and Europe seeing SB houses, I love the local approaches, 
and feel for those who do not get this exposure are missing out on a lot of 
lateral thinking.

So what is the middle ground. In my world outside of SB I note there are a 
lot of discussion boards that provide what yahoo does not do efficiently. 
And that is to recognise that 900 members all have different interest - and 
that the 200 - 400 messages per month that this site posts can be 
overwhelming to the majority most of the time.

This is a successful  example (topic not relevant) of a discussion board 
divided into 24 public areas of interest ... forums; and I am sure has 
several private forums.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/";>http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/</a>
You can elect which forums you want to receive information about and not 
have your email overwhelmed by other topics.
Forums can be closed eg GSBN. Have a focus of interest eg country, 
continent, association, faqs, calendar, workshops, technical, building 
codes, owner builders, renders etc etc etc.
It can be a place where we are globally together.

The set up for the AUSBALE that Andrew has done has followed this line, but 
we do not have the turnover to make it work.

If we bring all the little global discussion boards onto one site then this 
would be an amazing resource, but better ... it can be specific to each of 
our needs. If you elect only to receive the GSBN and your local association 
then that is okay ... we really don't need to know who is selling cheap 
straw in Spain.

I think any association that wants to use such a site, and benefit from the 
increase exposure should contribute ... with enough involved then the cost 
should be able to be able to be covered by such not-for-profit groups. 
Sponsorship / advertising are other thoughts.

Just a thought

Chris

Chris Newton
Earth-n-Straw Pty Ltd
phone: 041 319 5585
web: www.newtonhouse.info/straw.htm
(this email was created and sent using solar power)

- ----- Original Message ----- 
From: strawnet@...
To: GSBN@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:50 AM
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.


Hi all,

I've been reading this discussion with great interest, but I keep
thinking back to the origin of this list - which was to have a place
for connecting the people who are working regionally, nationally, or
internationally at a technical and/or professional level, to network,
explore, develop, share/disseminate high quality information without
the distraction of the constant newbie questions or the huge challenge
of sorting through the high noise-to-signal-ratio in high volume public
listserves.

I got off the other sb lists because I simply haven't had the time for
many years to even skim these lists, much less read them. I realize
that my focus is much larger than just straw bale, as it is for many
others on this list, but in my view, there is a huge difference in the
percentage of posts to this list that are of both interest and use to
me than any of the other lists I was on after the first several years
when we were all pretty much beginners.

I have tremendous appreciation for the beginner's mind - the ability to
ask the most essential questions not blinded by expertise... and
equally, of the importance of sharing what comes out of this list that
would be valuable to anyone working in this field. But I am very
concerned that if we just migrate to a single public list, the value
that is inherent in the type of exchanges that take place here would be
lost in the deluge of postings that are not on point and that have been
rehashed a thousands times already. This is not an elitist rant - I
just can't read or wade through those same twenty or thirty questions
anymore unless I'm teaching a workshop or expressly engaged with people
just finding out about sb. I hope this list will remain what it has
been - the highest level of sharing and exploring information,
experience, research, technique, and leadership among the most
knowledgeable and experienced people in this arena.

I loved the idea of making the archives available to the public, and it
was great when Joyce published some of the moisture discussion a while
back in The Last Straw. A regular feature along those lines might be a
great thing. But I just have too much on my plate to wade through what
makes up the vast majority of the posts to the public forums.

It probably isn't appropriate for me to comment on what people on lists
that I don't subscribe to should do, but it probably would be good to
have a single global open list as long as it wouldn't just be
overwhelmed (or overwhelming) by the sheer volume of postings. What
would be ideal, in my opinion, is that those of you who are on the
other lists, when something comes up that should be of interest to
everyone on this list, you would report it here. And when there are
relevant things here to discussions there, that they be shared or that
people are pointed to the relevant archives of this list.

One last thought is that if someone were interested in managing it,
perhaps we could have a portal for people to pose questions or provide
specific information that we might want to know about in this group to
this list, making it as clear as possible that we won't necessarily
respond and that the questions need to be about topics not already
covered in the archives of this or other lists...just a thought.

I want to say what a source of inspiration and information this list
is. The quality of the discourse here is what keeps me involved, while
sb represents perhaps ten percent or what I am involved with these
days. I hope we don't lose or dilute this...maybe we should figure out
how to bottle it...

David Eisenberg

- -----Original Message-----
From: Andre de Bouter forum@...
To: GSBN GSBN@...
Sent: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:48:50 +0100
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

  Hi,

I agree with the Straw Wolf, one SB general public list for all kind of
SB
stuff: SB-R-US!

If it is impossible to keep the European Straw Bale Network (ESBN) list
to the
subject of European SB networking than I'm for taking it out of the air
and
suggesting its members to migrate to SB-R-US. But I'm not an active
member on
the ESBN list and so don't feel like trying going on that list to pull
its plug.
If anyone on this lists IS an active member on the ESBN list and shares
my
opinion ...

(With our 5 month baby girl, a 3 year old son I don't even find the
time to read
the digests of SB-R-US or ESBN.)

Bale on,

Andre

PS yes Chug, I did film a big part of the Redfield event but don't
think the
quality is worth getting it out.
- ----
GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
of
regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
list are
underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN
as an
advisory board and technical editing arm.

For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
send
email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
- ----



- ----
GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of 
regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list 
are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN 
as an advisory board and technical editing arm.

For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send 
email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
- ----






----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 2006 22:34:32 -0600
From: Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Hi all,

I was preparing an email but will simply reply to Chris' suggestion as I was
also going to suggest we find a way to link existing association web sites
and/or listservs together so that the information can be accessed by anyone
easily without removing access to individual association web sites or
listservs that now exist.

I definitely encourage the continuation of SB-r-us (as a forum and
listserv), GSBN as it is presently set up, and the web sites of the
associations as well as the listservs that exist now for various countries
and associations. All seem to have value and make a contribution at various
levels. We just need to work out a way to make it all work together.

Thanks, David, for your perspective and suggestion. Seems we are making
progress and I hope we continue to consider various options and methods and
give this thoughtful consideration.

Joyce
- -------
Joyce Coppinger, Managing Editor
The Last Straw journal
GPFS/TLS, PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 USA
402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
thelaststraw@...
www.thelaststraw.org


on 2.27.2006 8:28 PM, Chris at chris@...:

> Hi All
> 
> There are 2 struggling lists in Australia, both with some difficulties of
> being user friendly and getting the messages out to the right people.
> <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.ausbale.org/";>http://www.ausbale.org/</a>
> <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php";>http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php</a>
> 
> I loved SB-R-us in the early days of learning, and once archived key points
> out myself. Then I moved onto just getting the daily then monthly digest as
> the computer was starting to control my life. Then rapidly recognised that
> you could never scan through these and left the site all together.
> 
> <a  target="_blank" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SB-r-us/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SB-r-us/</a>
> 
> So what is left is systems that don't fill the needs of our sb novice in
> Australia, or something so overconsuming that the only real option is to
> delete. I would hate to see the ozzies or any other association suggest what
> ESBN has. I feel we need a realistic alternate option.
> 
> I love the small world approach, having had a unique opportunity to travel
> around Australia and Europe seeing SB houses, I love the local approaches,
> and feel for those who do not get this exposure are missing out on a lot of
> lateral thinking.
> 
> So what is the middle ground. In my world outside of SB I note there are a
> lot of discussion boards that provide what yahoo does not do efficiently.
> And that is to recognise that 900 members all have different interest - and
> that the 200 - 400 messages per month that this site posts can be
> overwhelming to the majority most of the time.
> 
> This is a successful  example (topic not relevant) of a discussion board
> divided into 24 public areas of interest ... forums; and I am sure has
> several private forums.
> <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/";>http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/</a>
> You can elect which forums you want to receive information about and not
> have your email overwhelmed by other topics.
> Forums can be closed eg GSBN. Have a focus of interest eg country,
> continent, association, faqs, calendar, workshops, technical, building
> codes, owner builders, renders etc etc etc.
> It can be a place where we are globally together.
> 
> The set up for the AUSBALE that Andrew has done has followed this line, but
> we do not have the turnover to make it work.
> 
> If we bring all the little global discussion boards onto one site then this
> would be an amazing resource, but better ... it can be specific to each of
> our needs. If you elect only to receive the GSBN and your local association
> then that is okay ... we really don't need to know who is selling cheap
> straw in Spain.
> 
> I think any association that wants to use such a site, and benefit from the
> increase exposure should contribute ... with enough involved then the cost
> should be able to be able to be covered by such not-for-profit groups.
> Sponsorship / advertising are other thoughts.
> 
> Just a thought
> 
> Chris
> 
> Chris Newton
> Earth-n-Straw Pty Ltd
> phone: 041 319 5585
> web: www.newtonhouse.info/straw.htm
> (this email was created and sent using solar power)
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: strawnet@...
> To: GSBN@...
> Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:50 AM
> Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
> 
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> I've been reading this discussion with great interest, but I keep
> thinking back to the origin of this list - which was to have a place
> for connecting the people who are working regionally, nationally, or
> internationally at a technical and/or professional level, to network,
> explore, develop, share/disseminate high quality information without
> the distraction of the constant newbie questions or the huge challenge
> of sorting through the high noise-to-signal-ratio in high volume public
> listserves.
> 
> I got off the other sb lists because I simply haven't had the time for
> many years to even skim these lists, much less read them. I realize
> that my focus is much larger than just straw bale, as it is for many
> others on this list, but in my view, there is a huge difference in the
> percentage of posts to this list that are of both interest and use to
> me than any of the other lists I was on after the first several years
> when we were all pretty much beginners.
> 
> I have tremendous appreciation for the beginner's mind - the ability to
> ask the most essential questions not blinded by expertise... and
> equally, of the importance of sharing what comes out of this list that
> would be valuable to anyone working in this field. But I am very
> concerned that if we just migrate to a single public list, the value
> that is inherent in the type of exchanges that take place here would be
> lost in the deluge of postings that are not on point and that have been
> rehashed a thousands times already. This is not an elitist rant - I
> just can't read or wade through those same twenty or thirty questions
> anymore unless I'm teaching a workshop or expressly engaged with people
> just finding out about sb. I hope this list will remain what it has
> been - the highest level of sharing and exploring information,
> experience, research, technique, and leadership among the most
> knowledgeable and experienced people in this arena.
> 
> I loved the idea of making the archives available to the public, and it
> was great when Joyce published some of the moisture discussion a while
> back in The Last Straw. A regular feature along those lines might be a
> great thing. But I just have too much on my plate to wade through what
> makes up the vast majority of the posts to the public forums.
> 
> It probably isn't appropriate for me to comment on what people on lists
> that I don't subscribe to should do, but it probably would be good to
> have a single global open list as long as it wouldn't just be
> overwhelmed (or overwhelming) by the sheer volume of postings. What
> would be ideal, in my opinion, is that those of you who are on the
> other lists, when something comes up that should be of interest to
> everyone on this list, you would report it here. And when there are
> relevant things here to discussions there, that they be shared or that
> people are pointed to the relevant archives of this list.
> 
> One last thought is that if someone were interested in managing it,
> perhaps we could have a portal for people to pose questions or provide
> specific information that we might want to know about in this group to
> this list, making it as clear as possible that we won't necessarily
> respond and that the questions need to be about topics not already
> covered in the archives of this or other lists...just a thought.
> 
> I want to say what a source of inspiration and information this list
> is. The quality of the discourse here is what keeps me involved, while
> sb represents perhaps ten percent or what I am involved with these
> days. I hope we don't lose or dilute this...maybe we should figure out
> how to bottle it...
> 
> David Eisenberg
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andre de Bouter forum@...
> To: GSBN GSBN@...
> Sent: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:48:50 +0100
> Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I agree with the Straw Wolf, one SB general public list for all kind of
> SB
> stuff: SB-R-US!
> 
> If it is impossible to keep the European Straw Bale Network (ESBN) list
> to the
> subject of European SB networking than I'm for taking it out of the air
> and
> suggesting its members to migrate to SB-R-US. But I'm not an active
> member on
> the ESBN list and so don't feel like trying going on that list to pull
> its plug.
> If anyone on this lists IS an active member on the ESBN list and shares
> my
> opinion ...
> 
> (With our 5 month baby girl, a 3 year old son I don't even find the
> time to read
> the digests of SB-R-US or ESBN.)
> 
> Bale on,
> 
> Andre
> 
> PS yes Chug, I did film a big part of the Redfield event but don't
> think the
> quality is worth getting it out.
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
> of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
> list are
> underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN
> as an
> advisory board and technical editing arm.
> 
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list,
> send
> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
> 
> 
> 
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list
> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN
> as an advisory board and technical editing arm.
> 
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send
> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ----
> GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives of
> regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this list
> are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN
as
> an advisory board and technical editing arm.
> 
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN list, send
> email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> ----
> 



----------------------------------------------------------------------

End of Digest

To request a copy of the help file, reply to this message and put "help" in
the subject.