Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:28 +0000, Chug. wrote:
> Greetings baleheads,
>
> all of the existing SB lists have active members who are the so called 'Experts' who try to help newcomers and beginners and also
> keep the rest of the strawbale world informed of any important info/happenings/developments by cross posting to the other lists, you
> don't have to be a member of all the groups to keep up with current info, it would be too much to have just one list, imagine all
> the posts you would have to trawl through, I think keep the lists as they are and keep the exchange/cross posting of info going, and
> if you think there is something that all should be aware of post it to the group you are a member of with a note asking others to
> forward it.
I just remembered that there is also the idea of an announcements list.
Anyone who thinks something is worth mention sends it to the
'sb-announcements' list. Once a month that email is sent out to each
list who wants to participate, this reduces cross-posting and because it
is one-way and edited (if absolutely necessary) it's not big and is
information rich.

Here's an example:

---------------------
If you have something you'd like included send a short summary, a title
and link to: sb-announcements@...

Editors note: We still don't receive any notices of events in Canada. If
anyone can help with that please send us a message.

In the March issue:
1. Technical Issues
2. Learning Resources
3. What's on Worldwide

=== 1. Technical issues ===
  New German moisture report
The good people at the german sb association tell us that they have just
finished a report called 'What about spilt beer?' looking at the impact
of drunken parties on the health of Straw Bale walls.
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://munich-beer-festival/archive/straw-bale-parties.html";>http://munich-beer-festival/archive/straw-bale-parties.html</a>>

  My house burn down!
"Sadly my unfinished house has burnt down as it was left unplastered. I,
Paul the Pyromaniachs describe in this article how the fire took hold
and how to avoid it happening to you."
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://pyro-paul/my-house-is-gone.pdf";>http://pyro-paul/my-house-is-gone.pdf</a>>

=== 2. Learning Resources ===
  The Last Straw
"TLS is happy to announce that the CD of back issues is finished. If
you've ordered one you should get it soon. If you don't know what this
is about then come and visit the website."
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://tls.com/resources/backcatalogue-on-cd.html";>http://tls.com/resources/backcatalogue-on-cd.html</a>>

  Wikibook on Straw Bale Construction updated
"The wikibook team has just finished revising the section on
foundations. Now we're looking for input on the Roofing Options section.
Check it out and lend a hand."
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://wikibooks.org/Straw_Bale_Construction";>http://wikibooks.org/Straw_Bale_Construction</a>>

=== 3. What's on ===
  Hands for knowledge site updated
"Well another summer is approaching and we've got lots of people looking
for volunteers to help with their houses. Come and see if there's
something you'd like to be part of." (Europe only)
<http:/you get the idea

--------------------------

I like doing it like this as the technical level is minimal, hey we're
not trying to impress anyone, and it means that people could easily
_only_ get this and they'd still be kept in touch with the main things
going on. And the editor would be told what is happening.

Just a suggestion.

I don't mind giving it a try, for say 12 months, if people would back
the idea.

Duncan
--
Duncan Lithgow duncan@...