From: laura@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 8:37 AM
Subject: RE: GSBN:Straw Bale and Plumbing

First,
Greetings to all of you, as I have been a very quiet member since
joining the list. I am, however, very appreciative of having being able
to "listen" even though I've had little time to speak up.My hope is to
change that..

and now to respond to Martin,

In this region, I most often see only hose bib supply lines going
through bale walls, and then mostly through a waterproofed and
insulated box out or sleeve, and with our risk here of even the most
frost-free hose bib still at risk, always sloped to the exterior. I
have not seen a problem with those.
In two instances I have seen other plumbing complications. In one, the
plumber brought a Wirsbo supply line in from the attic space down the
bale wall for the kitchen sink. It was retrofitted with a stud channel
with a waterproofing membrane as it was already installed and could not
be sleeved. During plaster prep, it took a staple without anyone
knowing. When the line was pressurized, the leak was discovered and had
done damage under finished plaster. So, the fact that staples and pins
are used in plaster prep often may be something to consider in our
situations unlike the more controlled length of drywall screws in stud
framing.
In another, the builder ran supply lines through the floor and into the
cabinet in an upstairs bathroom. A connection had a very slow leak
which was just below the cabinet and soaked the entire wall in the
kitchen wall below before the source of the small flies in the bathroom
led them to the problem. The kitchen wall plaster skin was removed from
the interior, the wet bales removed, the exterior stucco reinforced
with more material from the backside (the argument being that the ext.
skin now was not embedded in the bales, and needed to be more
structural unto itself) and new bales installed.
Best to all,

Laura Bartels
Carbondale. Colorado

regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.