Date: 28 Feb 2006 11:00:41 -0600
From: Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.

Could the announcements list be part of SB-r-us so we're still using a forum
format and adding the announcements feature?

Joyce

on 2.28.2006 9:11 AM, Lars Keller at larskeller@...:

Date: 28 Feb 2006 11:52:42 -0600
From: duncan@...
Subject: monthly announcement-mail

If have renamed this conversation to ''. The start of the discussion and
an example announcement email can be seen in the archive at:

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 10:50 -0600, Joyce Coppinger wrote:
> Could the announcements list be part of SB-r-us so we're still using a forum
> format and adding the announcements feature?
I'm not sure I know what you mean. But however it is done it would need
to be a separate list, and I can't see how it could be connected to a
forum.

I would suggest, at the right time, we talk to REPP, and see if they
would host it, they use the Mailman software for their email lists -
very stable and good software:
The advantages of this are:
* easy to administer
* good anti-spam functions
* easy to use archive
* easy to backup

Then each list or individual would subscribe. So, if you're on a
(participating) list you would get it and if you were not on an email
list you could just subscribe yourself individually.

And as Lars says (hi there Lars) this type of text is something that
people not addicted to their computer would probably still be interested
in getting.

Let's see what people think... I suggest this list give it a yes/no
inside two weeks (by the 14th March). If the answer is yes, we ask for
comment from all the lists we know and take it from there.

Duncan
- --
Duncan Lithgow duncan@...

multipart/signed
  application/pgp-signature
- ---

Date: 28 Feb 2006 12:19:54 -0600
From: archilogic@...
Subject: List talk about Lists

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:23:03 -0500, GSBN GSBN@...
wrote:

> -> RE: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
>      by "Nehemiah  Stone" stoneandstraw@...
> -> RE: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
>      by billc_lists@...
> -> Re: GSBN:Fwd: NEW SB forum, clarification.
>      by Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...

        etc. for another 20 lines or so

[snip]

Cheeze Whiz almighty on a stick!

A bazillion messages about a new SB forum that has yet to attract any
participants and another gazillion messages about loading up the GSBN with
even yet MORE Californians... but the message from  Laura Bartels
   re: Loadbearing sb with moisture damage
attracts nary a word in response ?

What's wrong with this picture ? [ Looking furiously for the adjustment
knob ]

Me ?

I think that no new members from California should be admitted unless they
own a tuque and know how to make love in a canoe.

It appears that people on this list are tending towards using the SB-r-us
list as a means of intercourse between this "exclusive" list of
professionals and the general SB lay public.

I like the idea of the intercourse (as I've mentioned in the past there
should be), but I think that we owe a nod to the CREST/REPP list since
that is probably where many of us first made contact with the global SB
community.

The SB-r-us list was not created not as a replacement for the CREST/REPP
list, but merely as a back-up and a complement to that list, to provide
the file-sharing capabilities that the CREST/REPP list cannot offer.

The SB-r-us list is also a bit more tolerant of off-topic discussions
since it describes itself as being the "Strawbale Social Club", so there
tends to be less "noise" on the REPP list and Dion is fairly diligent
about keeping discussion on-topic .

So, for those who can't be bothered to take the time to sift through the
messages to find the odd topic that may be of interest to them, I would
suggest subscribing to the REPP SB list rather than the SB-r-us list if
you, like Wild Bill-bob, prefer the email option as opposed to having to
log into a website in order to skim the archives. I would hate to see the
CREST/REPP
list die off or fade away .

If you think that you may want to utilise the file-sharing capabilities of
SB-r-us but don't want the mailbox clutter then I would suggest that you
subscribe to SB-r-us but opt for the "NO EMAIL" mode of mail delivery and
read messages from the website if so inclined.  This option will of
course, also allow you to post messages to SB-r-us if you deign to share
your thoughts with the general public as well as this list.

And for those of you who may not be aware, Yahoogroups truncates all
edresses to the format:
                   username@...
so that you need not be overly concerned about your edress getting into
the hands of people that you may not want it getting into, if that's a
concern, if you are contemplating subscribing to SB-r-us.

Ideally, we would all just speak to each other on the CREST/REPP list but
I know that's not going to happen so to make the public/professional
intercourse happen, it looks like members of this list will need to
subscribe to three or possibly four SB lists:

(1) Your local regional list (ie CASBA, Euro SB or AUS SB)

(2) GSBN

(3) CREST/REPP (either opting for DIGEST mode of delivery
     or NO EMAIL mode and reading messages from the archives

(4) SB-r-Us  opting for the NO EMAIL option, if you want to ulitise
file-sharing capability.
     ( I use the NO EMAIL option for both the REPP List and the SB-r-Us
list)

And hopefully, that will be the last time you hear me talking about lists
on this list.

=== * ===
Rob (a knob much of the time)Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
<ArchiLogic at chaffyahoo dot ca>
(winnow the chaff  from my edress in your reply)

Please visit   <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.mercycorps.org/";>http://www.mercycorps.org/</a>

Date: 28 Feb 2006 12:28:22 -0600
From: "Andre de Bouter" forum@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:monthly announcement-mail

I'm for it. Like Lars and Duncan suggest, I think I can squeeze that kind of
info in between the daipers. I would certainly like it to be edited in orders
to delete duplications and non related messages.

Bye,

Andr#233#

Selon Duncan Lithgow duncan@...:

Date: 28 Feb 2006 13:22:49 -0600
From: billc_lists@...

I think it's a great idea to condense this info into a monthly digest
format. There are definitely many who would appreciate such a highly
condensed synopsis. It could also be submitted to TLS as a regular
column.

It will *definitely* take someone some time to edit such a list each
month.  If I read your earlier post correctly, Duncan, you've said
you'd be willing to do this for at least the first year.  That's
great.

I have to admit that I'm not overly jazzed about going to REPP -
considering that it took them over two months to get the original
Strawbale list back up and running (spawning SB-R-Us as a backup in
the meantime) I've got a "once burned, twice shy" feeling about that.
I have to admit that our own list software is less than cutting edge
by a long shot (no archiving to speak of), so I hesitate to offer it
as the home of such a list.  Yahoo groups or Google groups may be the
best choice.

- --

Date: 28 Feb 2006 14:26:05 -0600
From: Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...

Would be glad to have a condensed synopsis of a monthly digest format but
might want to have someone professionally involved in strawbale and natural
building do the initial editing of the list so that it could be easily
converted to a column in TLS. And there would need to be agreement by
everyone on the list about use of their posts for a TLS column if that came
to be. Wouldn't want anyone to be surprised and upset about their comments
being published, even though the archives for the monthly digest probably
would be available to the public.

Joyce

on 2.28.2006 1:12 PM, billc_lists@...
billc_lists@...:

Date: 28 Feb 2006 14:39:16 -0600
From: Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...

Could someone explain what editing means in terms of listservs and the
announcement list? Is that editing related to filtering out messages or
things that don't relate to the listserv or spam, or does it relate to the
messages themselves.

Date: 28 Feb 2006 15:00:17 -0600
From: john@...

G 'day GSBN

Hardly a peep over the time we have been on GSBN and all of a sudden more
posts on having a list than any other topic on SB via this list.

I will stick with SB r-us and lurk eleswhere if I have to.

The Rotary mob of which there are 1500 or so members on a discussion list,
ROTI Rotarians On The Internet, use Yahoo and we have no worries or problems
we just get on with seeing where help is needed around the world.

That is what SB is for me seeing where help or advice is needed around the
world and doing so when time permits.  I am against exclusive lists by
expertise or region or country.  One list is one list enough and I will
stick with SB r-us for all the good reasons I outlined before.

That is what Matts and Judy inspired me to do in San Fransisco another
lifetime ago and that is what SB is to me helping others.  I would say that
Huff n Puff is one of the very few members of any of these SB lists that
actually earn 100% of their daily crust from SB, as well as walking the talk
by living in a SB home that we built ourselves.  So do we have a list for
that category?  I think not.

That is the last you will here from me about the lists.

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf.
Member of RFFA: Rotarians Action Group Fighting AIDS.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://rffa.org/";>http://rffa.org/</a>
61 2 6927 6027

Join me in Africa and build some SB shelter there one day.
I will let you know when via SB r-us.

- ---

Date: 28 Feb 2006 15:02:40 -0600
From: billc_lists@...

Reading and manually filtering the content for inclusion in the
once-a-month post.

- --

Date: 28 Feb 2006 15:13:00 -0600
From: duncan@...

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 14:29 -0600, Joyce Coppinger wrote:
> Could someone explain what editing means in terms of listservs and the
> announcement list? Is that editing related to filtering out messages or
> things that don't relate to the listserv or spam, or does it relate to the
> messages themselves.
In answer to this and your previous message.

I understand what you mean about having someone who knows Sb editing it,
that's not what I'm thinking when I say editing. If no-one sends
anything to the 'editor' then there is nothing to send out that month.

The 'editing' I am offering to do is more collating really. If I may
refer to my example:

- --------------
If you have something you'd like included send a short summary, a title
and link to: sb-announcements@...
- --------------
So that means that the 'editor' only snips and tucks the texts into an easy to
navigate format. Generally I don't think the editor would be editing anything,
but maybe writing an 'editors note' once in a while.
The example below is a good one. Some one sent the text to the announcement
editor for inclusion. The 'editor' does not write original work. I've done
this before and I should stress that it is not the editors task to find things
for the announcements - people send them in or they try and get word out
themselves.
- ---------------
   Wikibook on Straw Bale Construction updated
"The wikibook team has just finished revising the section on
foundations. Now we're looking for input on the Roofing Options section.
Check it out and lend a hand."
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://wikibooks.org/Straw_Bale_Construction";>http://wikibooks.org/Straw_Bale_Construction</a>>
- -----------------

Have a closer look at the example if unsure, you'll notice that's why the
texts are in speech marks ("")

Duncan
- --
Duncan Lithgow duncan@...

multipart/signed
  application/pgp-signature
- ---

Date: 28 Feb 2006 15:37:28 -0600
From: Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer@...

Duncan,

I found it so persuasive I decided to click some links. You never know
what is happening in the world of SB. Houses are built before you know
and now even lists with svelte monthly e-zines.

If you need any co-editing help or back-up call on me. I think it is an
excellent format.

The only thing that bothers me now is the copyright aspect of the Yahoo
list ie Yahoo 'owns' the data. I don't like the idea one bit. SB is an
open forum period. Its everyones and not Yahoo's

Checking out his monthly SB e-zine on the reclaimed swamp at the mouth
of the Rhine
Rene Dalmeijer

Date: 28 Feb 2006 16:57:54 -0600
From: "Frank &amp; Ingrid" strawbales@...
Subject: SB in Sweden and a long PS

Hi all,

Can someone please help with contact(s) for strawbale builder(s) in
Sweden, had an inquiry from a German lady moving to Sweden with interest
in building (having built) a strawbale home over there.

Thank you kindly, Frank &amp; Ingrid

PS: Have followed the discussion of new SB forum, clarification, over
the last few days. Not sure what to say to it though, a lot of good
suggestions and ideas, including the monthly announcement mail,
but......, we feel there are enough lists at present for everyone to
choose from and make a decision what info is important and to what level
they like to be involved. These days we very rarely post to any of the
lists only because of the extra time needed to do this which we don't
seem to find between a busy family life (two little ones) and a very
busy work schedule. We just manage to answer the many daily inquiries,
re: strawbale construction, COSTS involved, technical help, workshop
interest, work experience, etc etc, directly send to us. Cannot see how
to squeeze in any more time in front of the computer in-between the
nappies (diapers), good luck Andre.

Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow, Strawbale Construction
Ph. &amp; Fax: + 61 2 4443 5282 Mobile: 0408415806
 <<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:strawbales@bigpond.com";>mailto:strawbales@...> strawbales@...
 <<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawtec.com.au";>http://www.strawtec.com.au</a>> www.strawtec.com.au

- ---

Date: 28 Feb 2006 17:01:26 -0600
From: "Bohdan Dorniak &amp; Co Pty Ltd" bdco@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Straw Bale  and Plumbing

Hi Laura
I heard about a plumbing pipe that leaked here in Victoria, Australia.
He also removed the render inside.
However the builder found that by "drying" out the walls with a gas heat
blower - the bales
were dry with a couple of days.