GSBN:Re: FW: straw animal sheds and/or houses

I agree on the point of avoiding SB if straw is not readily available. However I
just want to mention that it is extreemly simple to make bales with just a few
planks and 2 feet. After all, a straw bale is only compacted straw tied by 2 or
3 strings. We made them in South india (rice straw, and lots of it, but no
baling machines). See
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.lamaisonenpaille.com/Galeries/Stages/Stage-Auroville.htm";>http://www.lamaisonenpaille.com/Galeries/Stages/Stage-Auroville.htm</a> Though we
used a post(granit) and beam structure I was impressed by the density of these
bales. Some local testing would need to be done in order to see what weight
they could take (and/or what size bales should be made to carry the weight).

Did you all know that Kelly Lerner (and all 'her little helpers') won the "World
Habitat Award" for the China SB project:
Hong Kong, China-On October 3rd, 2005, the Adventist Development and Relief
Agency office in China (ADRA China) received the 2005 World Habitat Award, from
the Building and Social Housing Foundation of Great Britain for providing
practical and innovative solutions to current housing needs and problems.
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.interaction.org/newswire/detail.php?id=4535";>http://www.interaction.org/newswire/detail.php?id=4535</a>

Huray for Kelly (and all those who made this project a reality)!

bye,

Andr?
La Maison en Paille

Selon Andrew Webb Architect design@...: