Re: GSBN:Loadbearing sb with moisture damage

Laura,

Sorry I'm a bit late with this, but wanted to let you know that we
have cut away quite large portions of load-bearing walls with no ill-
effects. Under the supervision of the structural engineer on one
project, we cut openings as large as 42 inches wide by 60 inches high
(this was to install windows) with no ill effects, and no additional
bracing or posts being added. This always gave me some confidence
that sections of wet wall could be dealt with fairly easily (though
thankfully haven't had to do it).

We cut the walls with a rented concrete saw (like a big skilsaw for
cutting road paving). We had to cut from both sides, as the blade
wasn't quite big enough to go all the way through.

Chris