From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Chris Magwood
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:27 AM
To: GSBN
Subject: Re: GSBN:Loadbearing sb with moisture damage

Laura,

Sorry I'm a bit late with this, but wanted to let you know that we have cut
away quite large portions of load-bearing walls with no ill- effects. Under
the supervision of the structural engineer on one project, we cut openings
as large as 42 inches wide by 60 inches high (this was to install windows)
with no ill effects, and no additional bracing or posts being added. This
always gave me some confidence that sections of wet wall could be dealt with
fairly easily (though thankfully haven't had to do it).

We cut the walls with a rented concrete saw (like a big skilsaw for cutting
road paving). We had to cut from both sides, as the blade wasn't quite big
enough to go all the way through.

Chris