Re: GSBN:Loadbearing sb with moisture damage

Chris,

All good points and although we may have some differences of opinion on
some bits, I think you bring up both some good solutions and some
issues for more discussion. It's worth thinking about this issue of
pans from a conceptual standpoint as much as from the practical issues
you raise. This is not always the case - since concepts and realities
are often at odds with each other, but I say this because what I think
is most essential here is that we are thinking about devising ways to
accomplish multiple goals in the most effective and hopefully,
environmentally responsible, efficient and aesthetic ways we can.

What we are trying to do is to ensure the longevity of the walls around
openings by minimizing the ability of water to get in and maximizing
the ability of water that does get in to get out. We have to consider
things like thermal bridging and condensation, freeze-thaw cycles,
capilarity, sequencing of installation, ease of ensuring reasonable
dependability both in installation and in service over time, including
maintainability. And, I think we should assume certain things. Windows
leak. Plasters and wood can crack and do move and what I like to see is
thinking that goes beyond (or behind or under) the first layer of
protection for when that happens. Like your plaster kerfs that minimize
the problem by design and detailing.

While I don't want to scare people about these things, I also have
heard too many people dismiss them as not being such a big problem.
Dealing with a few buildings and the unhappy and unfortunate owners of
them when they do fail has just reinforced in me the need to pay
attention to them all the way through, from initial design to the final
detailing.

David