From: "Athena & Bill Steen" absteen@...
To: "GSBN" GSBN@...
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 2:47 AM
Subject: Re: GSBN:Loadbearing sb with moisture damage

Let me start with the easiest thing to say which is that I agree with
David wholeheartedly.  Having gone through this discussion numerous
times over the years it seems to me that the place where a lot of
people get stuck is how to incorporate the "pan" approach in
conjunction with the way that window bucks are most typically placed
in straw bale walls.  To get around this we changed our window buck
design so as to make it a whole lot easier.  I assume that something
similar or identical to the way we do it will be forthcoming in the
CASBA details but let me take a brief shot at describing what I'm
talking about.  I find it much easier to use a pair of vertical 2xs
either side of the window opening that run from the foundation to the
roof plate/beam.  On the back side of those uprights we are attaching
a buck that is built out of 2x6s  configured like a picture/photo
frame so that the flat/wider side is facing forward.  This sets the
window slightly back from the outer surface of the wall where it is a
little more protected.  With this configuration a sill can be
attached to the buck and uprights and for that matter can be
replicated above the window so as to achieve what David pointed out.
With this approach Anyhow, to make this short, with this
configuration it becomes very easy to create the equivalent of a pan
either using peel and stick type membranes/metal or what have you.
Another advantage to this approach is that it allows any number of
different approaches for final detailing/plastering around the window.

Bill

Athena & Bill Steen
The Canelo Project
HC1 Box 324
Canelo/Elgin, AZ 85611
absteen@...
www.caneloproject.com

On Mar 8, 2006, at 11:51 AM, strawnet@...:

Chris,

All good points and although we may have some differences of
opinion on
some bits, I think you bring up both some good solutions and some
issues for more discussion. It's worth thinking about this issue of
pans from a conceptual standpoint as much as from the practical issues
you raise. This is not always the case - since concepts and realities
are often at odds with each other, but I say this because what I think
is most essential here is that we are thinking about devising ways to
accomplish multiple goals in the most effective and hopefully,
environmentally responsible, efficient and aesthetic ways we can.

What we are trying to do is to ensure the longevity of the walls
around
openings by minimizing the ability of water to get in and maximizing
the ability of water that does get in to get out. We have to consider
things like thermal bridging and condensation, freeze-thaw cycles,
capilarity, sequencing of installation, ease of ensuring reasonable
dependability both in installation and in service over time, including
maintainability. And, I think we should assume certain things. Windows
leak. Plasters and wood can crack and do move and what I like to
see is
thinking that goes beyond (or behind or under) the first layer of
protection for when that happens. Like your plaster kerfs that
minimize
the problem by design and detailing.

While I don't want to scare people about these things, I also have
heard too many people dismiss them as not being such a big problem.
Dealing with a few buildings and the unhappy and unfortunate owners of
them when they do fail has just reinforced in me the need to pay
attention to them all the way through, from initial design to the
final
detailing.

David