Re: GSBN:Data on Living Roofs

Hi John,

You can reach Michel at m.bergeron@...I don't really know why
he's not on this list- I think maybe he never responded to the
invitation.

My understanding is the reason the City of Chicago has been
experimenting with living roofs is specifically to try and reduce
both AC loads in public buildings and the heat island effect.  So I
would think they would have come up with some numbers, after spending
lots of public money.  Maybe it's just not on the web?

I know it doesn't answer your question but I'm sure that our living
roof helps keep our house cool.  I'm almost equally sure that it
contributes nothing to keeping it warm....

Best of luck,

Paul

Michel Bergeron in Quebec also might be of help.
His 'pen pal'(Serious StrawBale) Paul Lacinski should be able to
track him down.

bye,
Andr?

Selon Chris Stafford Stafford@...:

 John,
 I don't have your answer, but can give a couple of leads where you may
 find out about the thermal qualities of green roofs.
 Patrick Carey, pkc@...,  is leading green roof expert in Seattle
 Chapter of NW EcoBuilding Guild. Another is a landscape contractor that
 has been doing many commercial buildings in downtown Portland, Oregon.
 I don't have their name but Carey will, if you can't find anything on
 web.
 Good luck,
 Chris

 Christopher Stafford Architects, Inc.
 1044 Water Street, #326
 Port Townsend, WA 98368
 360.379.8541
 www.building-green.net

 On Mar 17, 2006, at 10:05 AM, John Swearingen wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Does anyone know of some hard data on the thermal qualities of living
 > roofs.
 > I've done some preliminary energy modeling, in Energy 10, and come out
 > with
 > very little difference.  I presume that's because the program can't
 > account
 > for the shading of plants, evaporative cooling effects of moist soil,
 > and
 > perhaps the ability of the earth to hold heat, then release it to the
 > night
 > sky.  Is there some real data on this?
 >
 > John
 >
 > John Swearingen
 >  SKILLFUL MEANS
 > design and construction
 >  HYPERLINK "<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.skillful-means.com/"www.skillful-means.com";>http://www.skillful-means.com/"www.skillful-means.com</a>
 >

 > --
 > 3/17/2006

 > multipart/alternative
 >   text/html
 > ---
 > ----
 > GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and
 > representatives of regional straw construction organizations. The
 > costs of operating this list are underwritten by The Last Straw
 > Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as an advisory board and
 > technical editing arm.

 > SUBJECT line.

 are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of
the GSBN as
 an advisory board and technical editing arm.

representatives of regional straw construction organizations. The
costs of operating this list are underwritten by The Last Straw
Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as an advisory board and
technical editing arm.

list, send email to GSBN@...HELP in the
SUBJECT line.

Paul M. Lacinski
Sidehill Farm
GreenSpace Collaborative
Mail: PO Box 107
Packages: 137 Beldingville Rd.
Ashfield, MA 01330 USA
+1   413 625 0011

View excerpts from Serious Straw Bale at:
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/seriousstrawbale";>http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/seriousstrawbale</a>