RE: GSBN:re: Data on Living Roofs

<x-charset windows-1250>Thanks for all your feedback about green roofs.  They are certainly a Good
Thing, and I hope we can do more of them.  Very difficult to model, though,
because of all the variables.

My experience agrees with the Canadian study that the green roof, as Rub Tum
said, "could reduce the daily space cooling energy load by an average of
~75% due to reducing heat gain ... but it doesn't do much of anything to
reduce heat loss."

Of course, Rub Tum has about as realistic a notion of California as our
President has of Iraq.  He says,

<For the parts of Poppyland where the landscape gets so parched that it
jumps up and bites y'all in the arse with hell-fires and such on a regular
basis ?. doubt that you'd be up on your roofs watering the vegetation to
keep it lush and green during periods of drought?... in the event of
landscape infernos, maybe you flood the growing medium (from a cistern
dedicated to the purpose) in the hope that that may discourage the roof from
burning ?>

It think that one of the more significant cooling mechanisms of green roofs
comes from evaporation and moisture as a heat retention/release medium.
With the advent of very economical drip-irrigation there's every reason to
keep your roof green and moist. We have a sprinkler atop ours that goes off
for a few minutes in the early morning.  And certainly, when embers are
flying through the sky, the protection of green veggies and a layer of earth
would be welcome.

John

John Swearingen
 SKILLFUL MEANS