Re: GSBN:Chopped Straw as Ceiling Insulation

Paul Olivier in Louisiana has done extensive testing and work with rice
hulls as insulation and there is a detailed and comprehensive paper
downloadable as a pdf file on his website at www.esrla.com/  He reports
that testing shows rice hulls have an R-value in excess of R-3/inch and
passed fire, flamespread and smoke development tests - from the
abstract of the paper:

The rice hulls are unique within nature. They contain approximately 20%
opaline silica in
combination with a large amount of the phenyl propanoid structural
polymer called
lignin. This abundant agricultural waste has all of the properties one
could ever expect of
some of the best insulating materials. Recent ASTM testing conducted
R&D Services of
Cookville, Tennessee, reveals that rice hulls do not flame or smolder
very easily, they are
highly resistant to moisture penetration and fungal decomposition, they
do not transfer
heat very well, they do not smell or emit gases, and they are not
corrosive with respect to
aluminum, copper or steel. In their raw and unprocessed state, rice
hulls constitute a
Class A or Class I insulation material, and therefore, they can be used
very economically
to insulate the wall, floor and roof cavities of a super-insulated Rice
Hull House. This
paper also explains how the structure of such a house can be fashioned
out of a variety of
engineered lumber products derived from sugarcane rind.

I think the Rice Hull House project has been written up in The Last
Straw. Paul is a brilliant and tireless innovator - I wonder if we
should invite him to join GSBN? Matts and Judy, you know him, what do
you think?

David