Re: GSBN:Chopped Straw as Ceiling Insulation

Kris Dick wrote an article on use of rice hulls for insulation for TLS#47
which can be downloaded from the TLS web site www.thelaststraw.org (click on
back issues and scroll down or do a search on the word "rice"). Please check
with Kris Dick (krisdick@mts.net) before linking this article to the Wiki
book.

This sentence might be edited If straw bales are used in the roof their
weight and the moisture and fire risk for loose straw need to be considered.
to read If straw bales are used in the roof, their weight needs to be
considered. Moisture is another consideration, and there is a fire risk if
loose straw is used.

Another suggested edit: (For avoiding) To avoid moisture problems, it is
important that the bales be treated just as walls are Ð they need to have
good ventilation on the outer surface (a ventilation space) and should be
coated with some plaster (typically clay or lime plaster) that can absorb,
redistribute and release to the air any moisture.

Joyce

on 3.24.2006 10:52 AM, Duncan Lithgow at duncan@...: