Re: GSBN:Chopped Straw as Ceiling Insulation

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 11:17 -0600, Joyce Coppinger wrote:
> Kris Dick wrote an article on use of rice hulls for insulation for TLS#47
> which can be downloaded from the TLS web site www.thelaststraw.org (click on
> back issues and scroll down or do a search on the word "rice").
The link ( <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.thelaststraw.org/articles/Rice%20Hull%";>http://www.thelaststraw.org/articles/Rice%20Hull%</a>
20House.pdf ) doesn't work anymore. Is it the same article as linked
here: ( <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.esrla.com/pdf/The-Rice-Hull-House2.pdf";>http://www.esrla.com/pdf/The-Rice-Hull-House2.pdf</a> ) by Paul A.
Olivier?

> Please check
> with Kris Dick (krisdick@mts.net) before linking this article to the Wiki
> book.
There is no precedent for asking permission to link to a page on the
net. I'm not copying the texts into the wikibook, just incorporating
bits of information and referencing the report I get the info from.

> This sentence might be edited
Thanks, you're quite right in both suggestions, it now reads:

"If straw bales are used in the roof, their weight needs to be
considered. Moisture is another consideration, and there is a fire risk
if any loose straw is left exposed. Weight considerations are overcome
by the fact that web-beams built to the height of the bales can easily
bear their weight. To avoid moisture problems, it is important that the
bales be treated just as walls are. They need to have good ventilation
on the outer surface (a ventilation space) and should be coated with
some plaster (typically clay or lime plaster) that can absorb,
redistribute and release to the air any moisture. It cannot be
overemphasised that no straw should be left exposed, plastering should
be done in such a way that it acts as a suitable fire retardant."

Thanks for the input!

Duncan