Date: 27 Mar 2006 13:39:42 -0600
From: Catherine Wanek blackrange@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Re: Paul Olivier in Louisiana

As suggested by David Eisenberg and Bruce King, I  endorse the
nomination of Paul Olivier as a member of the GSBN, if he would like
to join.  He is involved in recycling on an industrial level,
constructed a 3-story, 5,000 sf strawbale office building (near
Dallas, TX), and in recent years has done ground-breaking work to
promote rice-hull insulation.  A brilliant and tireless innovator,
indeed, and a very nice person.

Best regards,
Catherine Wanek

Black Range Films &
Natural Building Resources
119 Main St. , Kingston, NM 88042
505-895-3389 / fax 505-895-3326
blackrange@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbalecentral.com";>http://www.strawbalecentral.com</a>

At 09:03 AM 3/24/2006, you wrote:

>On Mar 24, 2006, at 8:17 AM, strawnet@...:
>
>>Paul Olivier in Louisiana has done extensive testing and work with rice
>>hulls as insulation and there is a detailed and comprehensive paper
>>downloadable as a pdf file on his website at www.esrla.com/  . . .
>>Paul is a brilliant and tireless innovator - I wonder if we should
>>invite him to join GSBN? Matts and Judy, you know him, what do you
>>think?
>

>Howdy, all --
>
>I've met Paul, also, and was equally impressed.  Straw bale
>construction per se isn't his thing, but he is a fountain of good
>ideas, and would be a great addition to GSBN.
>
>Also, along with everyone else, I think chopped straw as ceiling
>insulation is a terrible idea UNLESS you take great care to seal it
>with some plaster, both to prevent fire and conductive air flow.
>
>Bruce King, PE
>Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )
>Publisher, Green Building Press  ( www.greenbuildingpress.com )
>209 Caledonia St.
>Sausalito, CA 94965  USA
>(415) 331-7630
>bruce@ ecobuildnetwork.org

>multipart/alternative
>  text/enriched
>---
>----
>GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and
>representatives of regional straw construction organizations. The
>costs of operating this list are underwritten by The Last Straw
>Journal in exchange for use of the GSBN as an advisory board and
>technical editing arm.
>
>For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the GSBN
>list, send email to GSBN@...HELP in the
>SUBJECT line.
>----

- ---