GSBN: sugar cane

Dear Catherine Wanek,

I have not done any more work with regard to sugarcane rind. At the time I
was referring to the work of Rick Tilby and his father:
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.tilbysystems.com/index.html";>http://www.tilbysystems.com/index.html</a>

I know of several places as far apart as Mexico and Vietnam where the Tilby
System was installed, but I am not aware of anyone being able to make money
with this process. However, I do believe that if a clean billet is presented
to the Tilby process, this process will work. In the meantime, my company
has designed a 24-foot wide separator to remove all extraneous material from
sugarcane billets. This fall we will install the first section of this
gigantic separator at a sugar mill here in Louisiana. The main purpose of
this separator is to remove large clay balls that inevitably accompany the
billets into the mill when harvested during rainy weather. Without the
perfect removal of such trash, there is no way the Tilby separator
(depither) will be able to do its jobs.

Along similar lines, my company is designing a separator to remove
extraneous material from sugar beets. We have found out to our great
surprise that beets that go bad in storage have an altogether different
density from that of good beets. Instead of throwing away an entire storage
bin, we are able to select the good and reject the bad. This will save the
industry as a whole 10's of millions of dollars per year.

So I have moved away from the idea of using sugarcane rind to make
engineered lumber. Liam Devlin of Australia, a consultant to James Hardy,
has come up with an accelerator to bind cement to rice hulls. He believes
that it would be possible to make structural members on site out a mixture
of rice hulls and cement.

On Monday I leave for Malaysia, and I have found there a company that claims
to make structural members out of rice hulls and recycled plastic. Please
take a close look at their website:
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.fibersit.com/product-profiles.html";>http://www.fibersit.com/product-profiles.html</a>
My company is also involved in plastic separation, and I would like to
install our separators in Malaysia to isolate more econoically the recyled
plastic needed in the Fibersit process. Imagine making structural members
out of rice hulls and recycled plastic. This would bring the rice hull house
concept to whole new level of feasibility.

Ultimately the goal is to build a house completely out of agricultural and
other waste products without making any great demand upon our forests. At
the moment the strawbale house come the closest to realizing this goal.
Surely rice hulls could be used to insulate the attics of strawbale houses.
Hopefully you have had a chance to review the two links to the ASTM tests
that I posted this morning.

Thanks.

Paul Olivier
ESR International LLC