Date: 11 Apr 2006 03:42:36 -0600
From: "Dirk Scharmer- FSB" ds@...
Subject: Fasba: strawbale press release asking you to publish/ forward

Hope you all agree with using our mailing list to publish this. See also
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.presse.fasba.de";>http://www.presse.fasba.de</a>.

Greetings

Dirk Scharmer

Fachverband Strohballenbau Deutschland e.V.
Auf der Ruebekuhle 10
D- 21335 Lueneburg
Tel. 00 49 4131- 727804
Fax. 00 49 4131- 727805
Internet: www.fasba.de
Email: ds@...

Press release April 11th, 2006
FIRST TIME IN EUROPE: GENERAL APPROVAL OF STRAW BALES FOR HEAT INSULATION BY
THE BUILDING AUTHORITIES
After three years of work, the German Straw Bale Building Association
(Fachverband Strohballenbau Deutschland e.V. (fasba)), which is located in
the Altmark region of Germany near the town of Lueneburg
[<a  target="_blank" href="http://link2.map24.com/?street0=Auf%20Der%20R%FCbekuhle%2010&amp;zip0=21335&amp;cit";>http://link2.map24.com/?street0=Auf%20Der%20R%FCbekuhle%2010&amp;zip0=21335&amp;cit</a>
y0=L%FCneburg&amp;state0=&amp;country0=de&amp;name0=&amp;lid=988df590&amp;ol=de-de], has managed
to obtain an official general approval of straw bales for heat insulation
from the German Institute of Structural Engineering (Deutsches Institut fur
Bautechnik (DIBt)). Until recently, straw bale building in Germany
encountered many obstacles. This has been simplified enormously with a
general approval by the building authorities. Germany is now the first
country within Europe with this general approval, but similar approvals are
known in the United States and Belarus. The new heat insulation material
should be made available all over Germany very soon.

Climate disaster threatens the Earth, energy prices are constantly rising
and people are increasingly suffering through environmental pollution. For
more and more builders, these are enough reasons to change their approach to
building by creating modern and comfortable houses, using straw, clay and
wood from the farm next door. They provide optimal comfort, are easy to
produce and no more expensive than a house built with stone. Furthermore,
the reduction of embedded energy in a detached straw bales house, compared
to the energy required to build a masonry structure, is equivalent to at
least 15 years of heating and operating the building, giving a straw bale
house a 15 year head-start in resource conservation. This type of building
has been around in the United States since about 1890. Several buildings
from this time survive and are in good condition. They are proof that this
way of building is long lasting, safe and durable. A good example of
professional straw bale construction in Germany is the three-storey house
iStrohpolisi
[<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.fasba.de/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=17&amp;Itemid=117";>http://www.fasba.de/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=17&amp;Itemid=117</a>
] in the ecological village iSieben Lindeni in the Altmark region
[<a  target="_blank" href="http://link2.map24.com/?street0=&amp;zip0=38486&amp;city0=Bandau&amp;state0=&amp;country0=d";>http://link2.map24.com/?street0=&amp;zip0=38486&amp;city0=Bandau&amp;state0=&amp;country0=d</a>
e&amp;name0=&amp;lid=d324ecfa&amp;ol=de-de].

Above all, the now authorized approval simplifies the use of straw bales as
heat insulating filling material in timber frame buildings. Load bearing
construction, where straw bales can be used for structural support, has even
more ecological and financial advantages, since no additional supports are
needed. This type of construction is already widely known internationally
and after further investigation should also be applicable in Germany in the
near future.

In order to get building approval and consequently build iStrohpolisi, many
expensive experiments by German Test Institutions, including the  renowned
Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics (Fraunhofer Institut fur Bauphysik
(IBP)), had to be carried out beforehand. These experiments were funded by
grants from the former Social-Democrat / Green Party Coalition's Federal
Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection in the model-region
Altmark. The need for building materials from the farm next door will also
present new opportunities for a sustainable livelihood for farmers.
The number of German straw bale houses has already more than doubled in
2005. Fasba expects a building boom for straw bale houses in 2006. It is
also important to note that the new approval for straw bales as
heat-insulating material makes it eligible for benefits (25EUR/m3) from the
Agency of Renewable Resources (Fachagentur fuer nachwachsende Rohstoffe
(FNR)) for private builders.

(Publishable images and the general approval document:
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.presse.fasba.de";>http://www.presse.fasba.de</a>)

Contact: Dirk Scharmer, Auf der Ruebekuhle 10, D- 21335 Lueneburg, Tel. 0049
4131- 727 804 Internet: <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.fasba.de";>http://www.fasba.de</a>, Email: ds@...

Well done Dirk and the German SB association

this is great news for the SB building movement in europe

bale on
Chug
chug@...
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/";>http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk/</a>
.
[...]

f#252#r
[...]

"Strohpolis"
[<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.fasba.de/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=17&amp;Itemid=117";>http://www.fasba.de/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=17&amp;Itemid=117</a>
] in the ecological village "Sieben Linden" in the Altmark region
[<a  target="_blank" href="http://link2.map24.com/?street0=&amp;zip0=38486&amp;city0=Bandau&amp;state0=&amp;country0=d";>http://link2.map24.com/?street0=&amp;zip0=38486&amp;city0=Bandau&amp;state0=&amp;country0=d</a>
e&amp;name0=&amp;lid=d324ecfa&amp;ol=de-de].

Above all, the now authorized approval simplifies the use of straw bales as
heat insulating filling material in timber frame buildings. Load bearing
construction, where straw bales can be used for structural support, has even
more ecological and financial advantages, since no additional supports are
needed. This type of construction is already widely known internationally
and after further investigation should also be applicable in Germany in the
near future.

In order to get building approval and consequently build "Strohpolis", many
expensive experiments by German Test Institutions, including the  renowned
Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics (Fraunhofer Institut f#252#r