-> Moisture
     by "Jakub Wihan" kuba@...
-> Re: GSBN:Moisture
     by Martin Hammer mfhammer@...

Date: 18 Apr 2006 15:00:59 -0600
From: "Jakub Wihan" kuba@...
Subject: Moisture

Hello everybody,

First, I'd like to thank the people who have already responded to this
questionnaire, the first time I posted it here. Your valuable answers are
highly appreciated.

However, I have received only a few so far, and more feedback is really needed
for this research.

As I know that the potential of GSBN is huge, I'm posting the questionnaire
here again, hoping to recieve answers from all of you. It shouldn't take you
more than 15 minutes - especially if you are able to open the questionnaire in
Microsoft Word from:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.jakubwihan.com/pdf/SB_Moisture_Questionnaire.doc";>http://www.jakubwihan.com/pdf/SB_Moisture_Questionnaire.doc</a>

which makes the answering easy. (If you are too busy, don't bother with grey
areas. What we need most are the answers in yellow for statistics.) The more
people contribute, the more value this research will have for all of us.

The research results, together with the thesis will be available as a free
download on the Internet. The address will be available for everybody at The
Last Straw annual resource guide.

I'd especially like to ask the leaders of SB national organizations to put the
questionnaire link on their website with a description, that could read:
>>SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH MOISTURE PROBLEMS IN STRAW BALE WALL (Supposedly,
the biggest weakness of straw lies in its vulnerability to rot. In order to
ensure the long life of straw bale buildings, it is absolutely necessary to
keep the straw in the walls dry. The research of moisture transfer in the
straw bale walls will help to illuminate the complex topic of straw protection
against moisture. By filling out this questionnaire, you are going to add a
great value to this research. Your answers are important to all of us.)<<

Thank you

Very best wishes

Kuba

The goal of the Questionnaire is to find out:

- -  the most common reason for straw rot in existing straw bale walls

- -  the best proven prevention against moisture failure of a straw bale
construction

Q U E S T I O N N A I R E

Please make sure, that you don't miss any of those data and that your answers
are brief.

Please use single words, rather than sentences.

1. Are you

a) Builder, b) Architect, c) Engineer, d) Building contractor, e) Building
designer, f) Building tradesperson, g) Self-builder, h) Other

2. Do you live, or have you lived, in a straw bale home for at least a year?

Yes, No

3. How many straw bale buildings have you had direct involvement with
designing and/or building?

a) Less than 10, b) 10 - 30, c) 30 - 100, d) more than 100

4. What kind of finish do you prefer to use for the interior of a straw bale
wall?

a) Earth plaster, b) Earth plaster stabilized with lime, c) Lime plaster (lime
putty), d) Lime plaster (hydrated lime), e) Lime plaster (hydraulic lime), f)
Lime-cement plaster mix, g) Cement stucco, h) Earth plaster stabilized with
cement, i) Gypsum plaster, j) Bricks, k) Panelling (Cladding), l) Other:

4.1 Please name all components and their ratios including all special
additives. Please briefly explain the methodology of preparation and
application:

5. What kind of finish do you prefer to use for the exterior of a straw bale
wall?

a) Earth plaster, b) Earth plaster stabilized with lime, c) Lime plaster (lime
putty), d) Lime plaster (hydrated lime), e) Lime plaster (hydraulic lime), f)
Lime-cement plaster mix, g) Cement stucco, h) Earth plaster stabilized with
cement, i) Gypsum plaster, j) Bricks, k) Panelling (Cladding), l) Other:

5.1 Please name all components and their ratios including all special
additives. Please briefly explain the methodology of preparation and
application:

6. What makes your plaster weather resistant?

7. With your choice of materials, do you think that condensation occurs in the
straw just under the coat on the colder side of a straw bale wall?

Yes, No

8. Do you think that the condensation is a serious risk?

Yes, No

By moisture problem is meant any problem related to straw and moisture (either
directly or indirectly) that caused damage needing reparation. If one moisture
problem involves more than one answer, please be sure to include the problem
in every answer it applies to.

9. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem that you think is
related to condensation have you seen?

Please write a number:

10. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem, that you think is
related to driving rain have you seen?

Please write a number:

11. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem that you think is
related to back splash have you seen?

Please write a number:

12. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem that you think is
related to rising damp have you seen?

Please write a number:

13. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem, that you think is
related to bad window and door deatailing, have you seen?

Please write a number:

14. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem, that you think is
related to bad roof detailing, have you seen?

Please write a number:

15. How many straw bale buildings with a moisture problem related to humidity
imposed during the construction have you seen?

Please write a number:

16. If you have seen a straw bale building with a moisture problem that you
think is related to a cause not listed above, please describe briefly the case
here:

17. A bale that has been previously rained on becomes discolored when it
dries. Depending on the amount of rain exposure, the layer of discolored straw
penetrates the straw bale. What depth of penetration do you consider
acceptable for use in straw bale construction?

a) I wouldn't ever use discolored straw bale, b) Discolored slightly on the
surface is acceptable, c) Discolored layer 0 - 10mm deep is acceptable, d)
Discolored layer 10 - 30mm deep is acceptable, e) Discolored layer more than
30mm is acceptable.

17.1 Do you have any comments on question 13?

18. What is the acceptable percentage of weeds mixed with straw in straw bale
for use in straw bale construction?

a) 0%, b) 0-10%, c) 10-30%, d) 30-50%, e) 50%+

18.1 Do you have any comments on question 14?

19. Do you use moisture meters?

Yes, No

19.1 If you have used a moisture meter, what type or what manufacturer and
model #?

20. What do you think is the acceptable moisture content of straw in inhabited
straw bale building?

a) 0-10%, b) 10-15%, c) 15-20%, d) 20-25%, e) 25-30%, f) 30%+

21. Have you monitored moisture inside a straw bale wall?

Yes, No

(If yes, would you share the monitored data and your results by attaching them
to this questionnaire?)

22. Would you build for a client a straw bale construction in a hot, humid
climate?

23. If you have any straw bale moisture stories that are funny, scary,
instructive, or if you have any further recommendations, please feel free to
write here:

24. Do you wish to be treated as anonymous?

Yes, No

Please email back completed document to: kuba@...

Thank you very much for your contribution to this research

Kuba

3 Blvd. de la Villette

750 10  Paris

France