Re: GSBN:Moisture research

Dear Martin, Dirk and others

Thank you very much for your support. The responses I have gotten in the
last few hours are so encouraging and it goes on...

During my research, I found a number of studies that have explored the
microorganism population on straw over time either in laboratories or in the
field. The  classic paper: "How Straw Decomposes"  by Summers, Blunk and
Jenkins focuses on the quantity of population on rice straw during
decomposition in a low moisture content environment in sealed containers.

Does anyone know if a similar study (quantity development of microorganisms
over time) has ever been done on straw directly in a wall?

There are many practices developed by experience that help to prevent
moisture failure of a straw bale construction (the questionnaires I received
so far summarize them nicely). One of them is impeccable, but "breathable"
plaster. I feel that  simple research over a longer period of time on
development of microorganism quantity on straw in walls covered with
different plasters could lead to potential improvements in  straw bale
technology. The influence of plaster on microorganism growth could be quite
complex - for example the moist earth plaster swells up air tight,
preventing oxygen availability for decomposition, lime is natural
microorganism killer, etc.

GrAT, The Center for Appropriate Technology at the Vienna University of
Technology - is carrying out similar long term research. I'm trying to
contact them, but they haven't  responded. It seems that the results aren't
available yet.

And please, to those who haven't done so yet, don't forget to fill out the
questionnaire.

Thank you.

Very best wishes

Kuba