GSBN:Moisture research + good news

On Apr 19, 2006, at 3:40 AM, Jakub Wihan wrote:

Dear Martin, Dirk and others

During my research, I found a number of studies that have explored the
microorganism population on straw over time either in laboratories or
in the
field. The  classic paper: "How Straw Decomposes"  by Summers, Blunk
and
Jenkins focuses on the quantity of population on rice straw during
decomposition in a low moisture content environment in sealed
containers.

Hi, Kuba and everybody --

That paper IS very good, and was funded in part by the EBNet testing
program;
an extended version will be in the book (WARNING: commercial  plug)
"Design of Straw Bale Buildings" which will be published in time for the
Canadian ISBBC in September.  It will accompany two fine sections by
John Straube on "Moisture Basics" and "Moisture Management for Straw
Bale".

Happy announcement:  EBNet has secured the funding for the ASTM fire
test I wrote to you about recently, and sometime in early July we will
be testing two walls, both with lime-cement plaster:  one with bales
flat, one with bales on edge.  That will be made available as a free
PDF on the EBNet website asap, and printed with unrestricted
reproduction rights in the book.

Many thanks again to all who provided support in every form.

Kuba, I'll try and get your survey done, I promise.

Thanks!

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )
Publisher, Green Building Press  ( www.greenbuildingpress.com )