GSBN:Questionnaire

Rob Tom wrote:

I will put up a copy of the questionnaire in the FILES section at SB-r-us
and make announcements to the REPP and SB-r-us lists notifying members of
its existence.

However I suspect that the response will be minimal ...

Thank you Rob for your intiative.
I have already got response from SB-r-us.

However minimal, it is a response.

The POLLS function at SB-r-us makes it very easy to gather responses to
surveys like Jakub's.

I know that the poll system would be much more successful. First I thought:
What a great idea, but then I realized that the information which I'm going
to give out must be reliable. The questionnaire isn't the easiest way to
obtain it, but the results are valuable. It is going to evaluate the
extensive experience that you all have. I know that there have been similar
questionnaires done already, however Mark Bigland-Pritchard didn't answer my
repeated e-mails, and I thought the research that was done by TLS (#22)
needed an update. Experience develops over the time.

Yes, more monitoring in the houses with moisture problems. I agree. This
should be done. How to find them? I was very lucky. When I started my
research, the house I had been working on got an exemplary - serious -
moisure problem, which I'm monitoring and I'm going to write about it in the
thesis.

Rob you wrote:

I think that the failures should be documented with lots of
high-resolution colour photos of the gory details accompanied by
commentaries from the owners and/or builders that talk about the mistakes
that were made. And then the reports should be read by anyone
contemplating building an SBH.

But the problem is, past experience seems to indicate that such
information is like dental floss-- people may know of its
existence/utility/wisdom but too often, don't bother to use it.

Houses with moisture failure could provide not only a cheap testing ground
(the house I'm monitoring is going to reveal how long it takes for straw in
a wall to dry out once it's been soaked wet), but as you say also an
evidence of how not to do things.
I think that collecting such evidence of moisture failures should be
discussed at ISBBC in Canada. The most important is, how to make the
collection visible, in order to make a toothbrush out of dental floss .

But back to questionnaire. I didn't get one back from you, Rob.

The Microsoft Word version is downloadable from
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.jakubwihan.com/pdf/SB_Moisture_Questionnaire.doc";>http://www.jakubwihan.com/pdf/SB_Moisture_Questionnaire.doc</a>

Kuba