From: "Bruce King" ecobruce@...
To: "GSBN Int'l SB network" gsbn@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:50 AM
Subject: GSBN:fire test -- your opinions?

Everybody --

An ASTM fire test will be conducted this summer in San Antonio, Texas
on two different wall types.  After much thought and discussion with
David Eisenberg, and many baleheads at the recent CASBA 10th
anniversary celebration, the tentative wall types are two-string Texas
wheat bales---one with bales flat, and one with bales on edge---both
with no pins or mesh, and both with two coats of lime-cement plaster.

If anyone feels strongly that we should test some other assembly,
please do speak up;  David and I both feel that this is too important
for us to decide by ourselves.

John Glassford and others have suggested earth plaster, sensing that it
may outperform lime or lime-cement.  And you may well be right, but in
the current and foreseeable building environment, the people who will
need a fire rating for their building (I suspect) will also need the
higher hardness and durability of lime-cement.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )
Publisher, Green Building Press  ( www.greenbuildingpress.com )
209 Caledonia St.
Sausalito, CA 94965  USA
(415) 331-7630
bruce@ ecobuildnetwork.org

 text/enriched
regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
list are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
GSBN as an advisory board and technical editing arm.

send email to GSBN@...HELP in the SUBJECT
ine.  ----