Re: GSBN:Lime Wash

Hi Jeff,

I have sprayed limewash with an airless paint sprayer, with mixed
results.  The key seems to be to get a large enough orifice so that
the lime particles don't cause it to clog.  The normal orifice that
came from the rental yard was too fine.  It did apply the material
with a reasonable degree of impact, which seems helpful.  It wasn't
quite successful enough that we kept doing it, though for a project
this large I would probably look into it again.

But really, I would agree with Bill.  I've only seen silicate paint
in action once, but it definitely seemed an improvement over limewash.

Paul

Jeff,
Is the limewash for the outside or inside of the building?  Reason I
ask is that for me it would seem to make sense on the inside of the
structure where the antiseptic benefits would be advantageous.
However, for that to be a factor the limewash would have to be
applied on a frequent (annual?) basis to be effective.  There is a
lime paint, the name of which I can't recall, that Harry Francis has
brought up in the past as being particularly good for a number of
reasons.  Perhaps he can respond with current info.  On the exterior
why not take advantage of the lime of silicate paints offered by the
fellows at Eco-House.  It would provide a similar soft matt look,
resist water absorption while remaining vapor open like the
limewash.  Furthermore, rather than remain a coating on the wall, it
would become part of the surface.
Another idea that hasn't occurred to me in the past is that you could
inquire whether or not lime could be added to the paint  base in
place of the pigments.  It would also provide a binder for the lime
which you very well might need anyway.

Bill

Athena & Bill Steen
The Canelo Project