Re: GSBN:Lime Wash

Tim,

Thanks!  I think we will go ahead and roll it on.  It doesn't seem too
daunting based on the various feedback.  We have a tele-forklift on the
site which we used to stack and lath, which is, as you said, invaluable.

Thanks again for the help.  Hope you are doing well.

Jeff Ruppert, P.E.
Principal

Odisea LLC
Ecological Building, Engineering and Consulting

Front Range Office 		West Slope Office
1731 15th St. #105		1022 Main St.
Boulder, CO  80302		Carbondale, CO 81623
303.443.4335			970.948.5744
303.443.4355 f			1.866.795.6699 f
jeff@...
www.odiseanet.com

timok wrote:
This bounced a few days ago...

Hi Jeff,

We have used texture guns and airless sprayers to apply lime wash and found
them to be unsuccessful enough that we hand rolled 15,000 sq feet of it at
Ridge winery. We were using the vertical pulverized quicklime which we
slake
and now sell through the few "green resource" stores in California. I
believe that the aeration that occurs in spraying defeats the wet bonding
suction of hand applied lime wash even when it is back rolled. More
coats of
a thinner (more water) mix over a hose soaked wall that is back rolled is
something I might try in your scenario but we have found that high and
large
walls get done fairly quickly with 18" rollers. We also found the use of
scissor lifts to be invaluable in quality and body control...for another
post.

Best of luck,

Tim
Lars Keller writes:

Hi Jeff,

I cannot contribute with knowledge regarding spraying or not, but
regarding the silicate paint I can add, that it is being used in
Denmark on earthen exterior surfaces, when money is not a shortage. It
is not an ageold technique in Denmark, but it seems to be doing very
well.

Lars

2006/5/2, Paul Lacinski paul@...:
Hi Jeff,

I have sprayed limewash with an airless paint sprayer, with mixed
results.  The key seems to be to get a large enough orifice so that
the lime particles don't cause it to clog.  The normal orifice that
came from the rental yard was too fine.  It did apply the material
with a reasonable degree of impact, which seems helpful.  It wasn't
quite successful enough that we kept doing it, though for a project
this large I would probably look into it again.

But really, I would agree with Bill.  I've only seen silicate paint
in action once, but it definitely seemed an improvement over limewash.

Paul

--
Amy Klippenstein
Paul Lacinski
GSBN is an invitation-only forum of key individuals and representatives
of
regional straw construction organizations. The costs of operating this
list
are underwritten by The Last Straw Journal in exchange for use of the
GSBN

send

~~~

Jo, Asger og jeg er pt I Australien. Vi er i Danmark igen til november.
Marts, april og maj maaned kan vi traeffes paa nedenstaende adresse og
tlf-numre.

Jo, Asger and I are in Australia until November this year. During
March, April and May our contacts are:

jomorandin@...
larskeller@...

Lars, Jo og Asger