Date: 4 May 2006 09:01:20 -0600
From: Athena & Bill Steen absteen@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Lime Wash

On May 3, 2006, at 10:01 PM, Jeff Ruppert wrote:

>  and what i am most interested in is if there
> are any binding agents i can use in the mix, such as milk with
> clay.  I
> understand that the suggestions given so far have been with regards to
> how it is worked.  Is there really no inert additive to lime that will
> bind like milk does with clay?
>
> I could see reacting the lime wash with siloxane or some other silica
> solution like potassium(?) silicate after the initial application.
> But
> the question still stands.  Is there anything as an additive that
> would
> bind it better than nothing at all?

Jeff,
My experience says that I would stay away from the clay/lime approach
in that you're liable to get a weaker product all the way around.  As
for other binders I would bet that this list might have more than a
few suggestions ranging from simple to complex/expensive.  I would
offer that given a lime plastered wall under the right conditions -
applied well, a binder won't be needed and the surface won't dust.  I
don't have the experience to comment on applying limewash to a cement/
lime surfaced wall so I'll leave it to others.

However, returning to binders, if I happened to be in your position
at the moment I would be inclined to use either waterglass (potassium
silicate) or soy resin.  Both are working quite well for us.

B...
Athena & Bill Steen
The Canelo Project
HC1 Box 324