GSBN:Travelling to China

Dear friends and colleagues of the GSBN....

Along with Barbara Jones, Bee Rowan, and Evegeny Shirokov, I am
traveling to China this week....to attend a Study Tour of Kelly
Lerner's strawbale project that has built over 600 strawbale homes in
NE China in the last 6 or 7 years The trip is sponsored by the
Building and Social Housing Foundation, in England. (see more details below).
Kelly posted the opportunity a few months back on this list.....

Of course I plan to shoot some video and photographs, a few of which
will probably make it into my current book project.  (And naturally
there will be some report about it in The Last Straw. ) I expect
there will be many lessons learned that might be shared in future
such efforts.

I also want to share that my publisher (Gibbs Smith) generously
donated a box of my books (The New SB Home) for me to give away to
the Chinese villages.

Happy Independence Day to you all,
Catherine Wanek

International Study Visit to the Straw-bale Energy Efficient Housing
Technology Transfer, China

US architect Kelly Lerner of One World Design, helped ADRA (the
Adventist Development Relief Agency) design and create a program to
build low-cost strawbale houses in northeastern China.  To date, over
600 units have been built at a cost of $4 per square foot.  This work
received the 2005 World Habitat Award from the Building and Social
Housing Foundation (BSHF) www.bshf.org, who are also organizing this
study tour.

The Study Visit will bring together an interested group from all over
the world to view the work, and the methods of technology transfer
advocated by the ADRA. They used few foreigners, but primarily
trained teachers, who trained local crews to build with bales, which
had to be hand-made, as there are few baling machines in China. The
seismically-engineered design utilizes brick structure, with straw
bales for infill.

These straw-bale homes have saved 68% over typical energy use, which
saves homeowners money and reduces air pollution (they burn coal for
heating), while keeping the inside of the homes more comfortable.
Also the respiratory health of the young and old have improved, as
they breath less coal smoke.