Re: GSBN:Photos of bales and stacks, & French...

Hello everyone!
Here are some french worlds for strawbales & around

Ballot de paille (sb)

Bottes de paille (sb)  and
Bottes de foin (hay bale) .  Botte means boot as well.
The expression comes from old times, before baling machines; hay or straw
was chopped by groupes of men, then tied (by hand & often by women) in a
cylinder -shaped  called Botte (because it reminded a "boot" or "leg") and
left standing in the fields; a few days later the farmer wold come with a
carriage ang get all the "bottes" into his barns to keep dry.

Meule (pronounce the  EU as E in mErchant) is the stack, the old straw or
hay stack , hairy  hill with a long vertical stick in its center. The MEULE
stayed in the field, and wouldnt become wet  due to the angle of straw
leading the rain to flow rapidly outwards.
For SB stacks we say "pile" , or "tas".  A TAS is not as neatly gathered as
a PILE.
And for Roundbales, we  use often the english world...Roundbale. The proper
way is Bottes Rondes.

Thats all for tonight folks.
Lorenzo