GSBN:re: andre wants his plaster to dry quickly

Dear Andre,
We found ourselves in a similar situation last week.  The interior wall we
were working on had 5 cm applied in one application of earth plaster and had
to be dried out quickly.  Outside it was around 35 during the day, around 25
at night but very humid and once the SB's were up it stayed cooler and moist
inside.  We wanted put halogen projectors inside the room facing the wall,
but felt uncomfortable with the amount of watts we'd be burning and leaving
the hot lights unattended (we left the site for a week).  We put a number of
fans in the room and the plaster face dried well in just over a week (we did
not probe the plaster depth to measure moisture content).

Had we not been pressured to complete the plastering in one day, I would
suggest the un-Steen procedure that we use when we work with groups - apply
(4) layers, each 1-2 (maximum) cm thick and wait for each to dry completely
before applying the next (in the summer 2 days).  Keeping the surface really
rough (increased surface area) as opposed to flat and compressed (you know
how folks like to "finish" layers at each stage) also helps the layers dry
quicker and supplies a surface that the next layer will adhere to better.

Good fortune.

Alex

Alex Cicelsky; Design, Construction and Education
Center for Creative Ecology
Kibbutz Lotan, D.N. Eilot 88855  Israel
Tel: 08-6356914, Mobile: 054-979-9009, Fax: 08-6356842
Email: lotan-build@...

Please Visit Our Websites:
www.kibbutzlotan.com
www.birdingisrael.com