RE: GSBN:Borax in plaster

Moin, moin

As André said: By earth plastering late in the year, ventilation (we had
very good experience in using several non heating ventilators in one room by
blowing the air directly on plaster surface, it will dry fast and reliable)
is the most important and effective way (heating could increase mould
danger).

BUT:
In case of plastering straw bale walls: The temperature and humidity
monitoring of walls in the 3-storey SB-House "Strohpolis" (plastering
finished in november) showed clearly: Not potential mould on/in the plaster
was the problem, but the inside of the wall, more precisely the outer 10cm
straw. Conditions of potential mould (>80-95% r.H.) can persist nearly one
year after plastering. There was no mould in Strohpolis, but after all we
know about straw: Plastering in (germany's) autumn is no recommandable way.
Let's practise more safe way's without adding chemicals and try to get
finished in September.

Borax in the plaster wouldn't solve the real dangerous problems inside the
straw.

Dirk Scharmer

Fachverband Strohballenbau Deutschland e.V.
Auf der Ruebekuhle 10
D- 21335 Lueneburg
Tel. 00 49 4131- 727804
Fax. 00 49 4131- 727805