From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of Dirk
Scharmer- FSB
Sent: Tuesday, 11 July 2006 4:47 PM
To: 'GSBN'
Subject: RE: GSBN:Borax in plaster

Moin, moin

As Andr&eacute; said: By earth plastering late in the year, ventilation (we had
very good experience in using several non heating ventilators in one
room by blowing the air directly on plaster surface, it will dry fast
and reliable) is the most important and effective way (heating could
increase mould danger).

BUT:
In case of plastering straw bale walls: The temperature and humidity
monitoring of walls in the 3-storey SB-House "Strohpolis" (plastering
finished in november) showed clearly: Not potential mould on/in the
plaster was the problem, but the inside of the wall, more precisely the
outer 10cm straw. Conditions of potential mould (>80-95% r.H.) can
persist nearly one year after plastering. There was no mould in
Strohpolis, but after all we know about straw: Plastering in (germany's)
autumn is no recommandable way. Let's practise more safe way's without
adding chemicals and try to get finished in September.

Borax in the plaster wouldn't solve the real dangerous problems inside
the straw.

Dirk Scharmer

Fachverband Strohballenbau Deutschland e.V.
Auf der Ruebekuhle 10
D- 21335 Lueneburg
Tel. 00 49 4131- 727804
Fax. 00 49 4131- 727805