From: MattsMyhrman@...
To: GSBN@...
Subject: GSBN:Question regaarding toe-ups
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:41:14 EDT

I recently spent some time on the phone with one of our friends at Red
Feather Development Group.   They have been using a toe-up design that
involves
double 2 x 4's on the outside and double 2 x 6's on the inside, giving a
total
height for the toe-up of 3 inches (7.6 cm.) and a gap between the outer and
inner
elements of about 14 inches (about 35.5 cm.), when using 3-string bales.
They have been using custom-cut strips of rigid foam insulation board to
fill
this gap, but would prefer to be using a method that would require less
labor
and a material that would be less expensive, not petroleum based, derived
more
locally and lower in embodied energy.   Because they are working in areas
characterized by very cold winters, they are also concerned about the
insulation
value of the flller material.   For this reason, they are questioning the
use of
pea gravel as the gap-filler.   We talked about volcanic pumice, but found
ourselves unthusiastic based on the damage done to the landscape during
mining
process, and the lack of any regional source.

They build their box-beam roof-bearing-assembly (RBA) in a way that blocks
any water from getting down through to the top of the wall, should the roof
leak.   In view of this, it occurred to me that if they were willing to
provide a
moisture barrier, like roofing felt, under the toe-up, it would be safe
enough
to use something like sawdust to fill the gap.   To provide some support,
along the centerline of the gap, for the first course of bales, one might
lay in
place some separate support elements.   These could be assembled from short
pieces of 2 x 4 scraps or from pieces cut from warped, unsellable 2 x 4's
donated by a friendly lumber yard.   With these in place, one would fill in
around
these separate support elements with sawdust, and then put the first course
of
bales into place.

They and I would appreciate any thoughts any of you might have about the
sawdust system described above and any suggestions for alternative solutions
the problem.   Let your creative juices flow.   Just don't let any of those
juices drip on your bales.   Let cellulosic aridity reign!

Matts