RE: GSBN:FW: 3-layer passive insulation?

I don't think I understand the material described.  As I envision the
straw/paper sandwich, I have trouble understanding how it will work.  It
sounds like there will be multiple straw-to-paper-to-straw interfaces.
This would imply that no straw connects the inside to the outside of the
bales.  How are the different layers held together?  Are the inside and
outside surfaces plastered?  Does the plaster key into a layer of straw?
To what extent can this design act as a stressed-skin panel?

Like John, I have doubts about the convection question.  Convection is a
gravity-driven, largely vertical phenomenon.  It seems odd that vertical
divisions within the wall would have a major effect, and even more odd that
the paper dividers are said to be less important in horizontal insulation.
I would love to hear more information.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek@...

--On July 20, 2006 11:33:36 AM -0700 John Swearingen