Re: GSBN:Clay plastered wall passes 1-hour test!

Congratulations and thankyaverymuch for for sharing the info and for all the
effort that must have gone into his project.

As for stuffing the gaps between the bales, might I humbly suggest straw-clay
rather than cob. Probably also very fire resistant but maybe more
representative of realistic construction practice than cob because less of a
thermal break. (In France some builders stuff with lime/straw and a handfull of
sand)

On edge or flat:
In France more and more builders use bales on edge even though the rumour is
that the plaster does not adhere as well as as when layed flat. In my (earth
plaster) experience it seems to me that does not matter a great deal. More
important (in both cases) is to work the plaster well into the bales

Could the fact that the second wall tested (earth plaster on bales layed flat)
holds up longer be due to the way the bales are layed?

Do we have any numbers on how well plaster (be it cement/lime or earth) adheres
to bales flat or on edge?

In France only plaster on bales layed flat have been tested:
1000kg/mÓ (0,01 MPa) for a lime/hemp (+ a small aount of sand)
plaster (=25 times the weight of the plaster)

8000kg/mÓ (0,08 MPa) for a lime/hemp (+ a small aount of sand)
plaster (=200 times the weight of the plaster)

Bye,

Andr?

Selon Thangmaker@...: