Re: GSBN:Leather Bales

Hi to all,

I am unsure of the outcome of leather in bales, but it did prompt a question
on my part. I have been contacted by an Aboriginal elder wanting to build
homes for his people in Broome Australia. The humidity is high. Too high for
Straw bale. I would be interested to hear if anyone has baled plastic
bottles for building, as there is an abundance available. I would think that
a cement lime render would be best if it was feesable. Does anyone have any
suggestions? They have plenty of labour available. One of the kee
requirements is that they build themselves, as this will help with social
issues with the you people, as they do something worthwhile that they can be
proud of.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Regards
Brian Hodge

MattsMyhrman@...:

Since failure in bale buildings often relates to the bales getting wet,
wouldn't it be ill-advised to build with bales of a material that "releases toxins
if it gets wet or burns"?   Although it might be OK for building a warehouse
to store more leather bales.   As for insulative value, although an unlined
leather jacket is effective as a windbreaker, is the leather itself very
insulative?   Keep us informed, John.

In a message dated 7/31/06 1:31:40 PM, lorobles55@...:

Hello
Leather is certainly baled in a quiet different way than straw or hay; if
animal skin has to be used in building, as it was done (and still is, some

places) by Laps, Inuit, or Mongols , the material is efficent as insulator
in vertical layers, like our good old leather jackets. but who wants BALED
leather? heavy, costly, akward, not very proper indeed.  Maybe the baled
leather mentioned in Brazil is from waste cuts, pieces too narrow or with
holes and faults on the skin?  But even then, I just cant think of it as a
great building material.
Other opinions?
Lorenzo